What's new

Slight DLNA problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mmian7

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I just received the router a few days ago and it's a really huge upgrade for me. I intended to buy it just for improved range and bandwidth but have discovered many features that I simply can't live without anymore. Two such features are DLNA support for connected hard drives and download manager. Both seem to work perfectly alone but I run into issues when trying to use them together. Every time I download something to the hard-drive using the download manager, DLNA breaks and restarting the router/hard drive (occasionally) fixes it. If it was just a matter or rebooting the router, it wouldn't be such an issue. The problem is that I have a 2 TB hdd and it takes a really long time to index the files again for the DLNA functionality to return.

I was really hoping to not have to flash any non-asus firmware. That being said, if you guys can confirm that custom firmware can allow me to download things to the hard-drive (via router directly) while keeping DLNA fully functional, I would have no choice but to jump ship.

Thanks

If possible, format your HDD to .ext3 format. I have a 2TB Hitachi Touro that has worked swimmingly for 5 months now. No corruption errors. I get about 12 mb/s copy times. You can download software called gparted that will allow you to format a HDD to .ext3 outside of the windows environment.

I use Merlins 3.0.0.4.264.22 build and works perfectly. Never have to reboot either.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't corrupt the hard drive. I verified this using chkdsk. I should also point out that samba works perfectly. The only problem with samba is that my TV can't use it. How does merlin handle dlna? Does it have something similar to download manager to essentially let the router download torrents directly to the hard drive.