What's new

Slow 2.4GHz speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Abbas

Occasional Visitor
I have an AI Mesh setup with AX86U+AX82U+AX82U with wired backhaul. recently split my 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks with different SSIDs. However, the 2.4GHz network has become quite slow. Where I used to et about 100Mbps up and down on it, now I can barely get 60 down and 30up. The 5GHz SSID is performing just fine but I'm not sure why the speed on the 2.4 has dropped. Any suggestions?

I have an AI Mesh setup with AX86U+AX82U+AX82U with wired backhaul. recently split my 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks with different SSIDs. However, the 2.4GHz network has become quite slow. Where I used to et about 100Mbps up and down on it, now I can barely get 60 down and 30up. The 5GHz SSID is performing just fine but I'm not sure why the speed on the 2.4 has dropped. Any suggestions?

Radio interference including your own cordless devices (headphones, etc.) operating on the 2.4 band? Have you tried different channels at 20 MHz bandwidth?

OE

Last edited:
If you have a USB device plugged into the router set the router to USB2 operation.

Also, go back to Dual Band Smart Connect and let the clients choose which band they want to use. Set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz Auto channel and the 5 GHz to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz Auto channel. After a few days see what the router likes for channel selection and set it to those channels.

Try it. It does work!

Last edited:
Where I used to et about 100Mbps up and down on it, now I can barely get 60 down and 30up.

Your router was set to 20/40MHz wide channel. It was perhaps using 40MHz at some point, but switched back to 20MHz due to interference. 60/30Mbps for 2.4GHz band is actually pretty good. I can only reach about 40Mbps in my downtown apartment, for example. Too busy 2.4GHz environment.

If you have a USB device plugged into the router set the router to USB2 operation.

Also, go back to Dual Band Smart Connect and let the clients choose which band they want to use. Set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz Auto channel and the 5 GHz to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz Auto channel. After a few days see what the router likes for channel selection and set it to those channels.

Try it. It does work!
So would you say I switch back to a single SSID between the 2.4 and 5GHz? I don't really need separate ones- just thought I'd experiment to see the speeds and reach.

Your router was set to 20/40MHz wide channel. It was perhaps using 40MHz at some point, but switched back to 20MHz due to interference. 60/30Mbps for 2.4GHz band is actually pretty good. I can only reach about 40Mbps in my downtown apartment, for example. Too busy 2.4GHz environment.
Thanks- how can I check what channel is being used? I have set the router to 20Hz but I can switch back to 20/40. I don't live in a super congested area.

Thanks- how can I check what channel is being used?

Wireless Log page in System Log. Keep 2.4GHz @20MHz wide channel for better range and stability. This band is for compatibility, not speed.