What's new

Slow general WAN and wifi performance with RT-AC1900 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joe Adkins

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I'm experiencing some horrible performance via my RT-AC1900 and RT-AC68P routers setup in Aimesh. I've tried to disable everything from QOS to all the aiprotection products to increase performance with no change.

I'm seeing great ethernet performance locally, but I'm getting maybe 80mbit on my cable internet when I'm going through the routers via CAT6 (1gbit connected) when my advertised speed is 175mbit. I get the full 175mbit when I go through the modem direct.

My wifi performance is terrible on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, maxing out at around 80-100mbit locally and maxes out at around 65mbit when accessing the internet via 867mbit Wifi AC.

My only thought, can I be maxing out the routers capability with connected devices? I have probably 30 connected devices in a mix of 2.4ghz/5ghz/CAT6…. we are not a high streaming family either from the internet or locally. We usually have a single Netflix feed or something going, but that is about it. My routers CPU util. is around 50-60% on both cores via Merlin (384.13), so it doesn't seem to be maxed out.

Is it time for me to upgrade my routers? Any suggestions?

EDIT: On another note, my routers are set to the following for bandwidth:

2.4ghz - 20/40mhz
5ghz - 20/40/80mhz

EDIT2: I also just disabled both wifi radios and ran another bandwidth test... same results. CPU utilization does drop, as you'd expect.

Last edited:
My guess is consumer gear is not built to run at 80 or 90% capacity constantly so you are probably close to max.

My guess is consumer gear is not built to run at 80 or 90% capacity constantly so you are probably close to max.

That is what I was thinking, but disabling the wifi radios didn't have any effect on the performance of the WAN connection via CAT6 copper connection (went down to 5 connected systems non of which was using bandwidth). It's really odd that both routers are so slow (I started with the RT-AC1900 and then added the RT-AC68P thinking it was signal quality that slowed things down... it wasn't) as I've read online some folks get good throughput from them dual to the dual core CPU.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!