What's new

Slow internet on latest firmware for RT-AX92u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Psykotik

New Around Here
I am running only one RT-AX92u, not using mesh. When I upgraded to the 3.0.0.4.384.7977 it took my internet speeds down from 300 mb/s to 3 mb/s. Downgraded to 3.0.0.4.384.6437 and speeds are as expected.

Has anyone else experienced this as well? Is there a setting added with the newer firmware that may be causing this?

I've seen inconsistent performance with the AX92u, as well. It also has very high ram usage for a router with 512mb. Around 90% used, but ASUS says that is normal.

Hi,
I also suffer regular router crashes when using the latest firmware 384 - 7977. First connection becomes slow and only option is to restart the router.
when looking in the log, it is flooded with : "runner_get_pkt_from_ring:L137 Failed to allocate new ring buffer".
I downgraded to 384.6487 and seems to have stopped. As for the RAM usage, seems to be normal , especially when using AiProtection.

I've got firmware 3.0.0.4.384_8681 which came out a few days ago. It still has this problem. Sometimes I'm lucky if the router stays up for 12 hours before maxing out the CPUs. Also note that my memory was at 90%, but after doing a factory reset it's normally around 75%. I don't know what a factory reset clears up, but it definitely reduces the memory load.

AX92U Twin pack , main router and wired AP, PPOE VDSL2 connection.

Firmware Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_8681-g8490dba

CPU always low when I look , memory is 75-90% used at idle which seems crazy.
(My old RT-AC3200 memory was usually around 25-35%)

No drops of connection, no crashes since installation and internet speeds maximum for connection.

I am on the latest firmware and still the whole mesh setup crashes with errors in log relating to ring buffer and Red WAN Light. Have to restart main router to restore service.

I am on the latest firmware and still the whole mesh setup crashes with errors in log relating to ring buffer and Red WAN Light. Have to restart main router to restore service.
Hi, I stopped using Aimesh and configured router manually. Never had the ring buffer error again. If you want some starting point on how to do this, I have posted my manual settings on this forum a few weeks ago.

Hi, I stopped using Aimesh and configured router manually. Never had the ring buffer error again. If you want some starting point on how to do this, I have posted my manual settings on this forum a few weeks ago.

Thanks. I did try the repeater mode setup and did find it a lot more stable, however, reverted back to mesh when the latest firmware was released. The latest firmware does seem a little more stable than the previous version, however, occasionally ring buffer errors when streaming from my synology NAS. I was not sure what you loose when using repeater mode apart from the centralisation of management.

It's normal RAM Usage at 90% according to ASUS for these AX92U one.
I've had this pair for 9 months now, rather strange i haven't experienced any serious problem with this yet as i have always config mine ones manually. Especially with the tri-band, just disconnect Smart Connect, almost every manufacture has problems with "Smart Connect". If you are in a high interferrence area, chances are wireless won't be the best solution, although Wifi 6 does fix and improve a lot with congestion. Sometimes wifi clients give us a hard time too, i used to have a Note 9 and it doesn't play well with Wifi, many people experienced this too.

The issue seems to be with the WAN flapping, red WAN light and continuous WAN disconnects until a physical restart. Errors in Log show ring buffer errors. I have 3 of these and otherwise they are really good. May have to revert back to repeater mode as not sure why the mesh setup causes this.

The issue seems to be with the WAN flapping, red WAN light and continuous WAN disconnects until a physical restart. Errors in Log show ring buffer errors. I have 3 of these and otherwise they are really good. May have to revert back to repeater mode as not sure why the mesh setup causes this.
In AiMesh mode, the general log was filled up with connect and disconnect messages for stations all day long. While in manual mode these messages are almost inexistant. Could it be that the continuous leaving and joining from stations, together with continuous streaming on the network crashes these devices? Bc, when my ring buffer errors happened, I was also streaming.

I hope they find a fix. I prefer the aimesh setup as easier to manage including parental controls via the 3 units I have. Today seems to be stable so far on the latest firmware however not holding hopes high.

Hi all, it's not AI protection or Parental Controls because it's constantly happening to me and I don't use either of those. It's also not related to USB as I have all that off, even SMB and the media server which are on by default. I'm also only using a single AX92 at the moment and it's still occurring so that rules out mesh and multi-router setups.

Hello everyone, if you can contact Jack @ Asus (https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/user/587606) via Whirlpool. I've been messaging back and forth with him about the unreliability of these routers and he seems unaware of this thread. Also, to confirm. This is NOT a mesh issue. I've had just one AX92 without mesh do it. Once it only lasted for 90 minutes before hanging and having to be rebooted.

This is an issue I'm seeing every now and again.
Has there been a solution to this at all?

I do like the ASUS routers and the Mesh setup, but this is irritating!

New firmware available: 3.0.0.4.384_9177 fixes ring buffer errors. My AX92s have been very stable on default settings since installing a couple of weeks ago.

New firmware available: 3.0.0.4.384_9177 fixes ring buffer errors. My AX92s have been very stable on default settings since installing a couple of weeks ago.

Excellent!
That's what I was waiting on - thanks.

I knew there was a new firmware, but was very hesitant on upgrading.

If you update the firmware, and you are using a WIRED backhaul from the router to the node, can you tell me if you get a message on the main info landing page for 5Ghz-2 saying that it’s being used for wireless backhaul and can’t be used for clients, despite the fact the node is in fact wired backhaul? In my case, I see this, but am also able to connect clients to the 5Ghz-2 band. So, I’m thinking this is just a visual bug, but the system is running ok. See my screenshots located in this post on SNB:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a..._9177-gbe0ac36-experiences.64337/#post-590256

Thanks all , looks like I'll be returning my ax92u as soon as it gets here . I'll wait for the ax1100 to be released .
Guess i'll stick with the ac5300 and ac3200 for now , not impressed with the performance being reported

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!