What's new

Slow LAN speed on ASUS 4G-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dozolee

New Around Here
Dear all,

I'm trying to solve my problem with my Asus 4G-AC68U. I use this router in mesh with another RT-AC68U. The problem is with my Master 4G-AC68U. The LAN download speed is much lower then the download speed with wifi. I found a lot of threads in the internet with the same issue. There seems to be no solution, people are trying hard to change settings without results. I am doing the same. I've tried many cables, many Laptops, factory reset, and many firmware. I measure the download speed with speedtest.net. When I measure with my smartphone I have up to 120 Mbps and when I measure with any computer with LAN connection I can measure only 5 or 10 Mbps. I have gigabit connection on the PC. On the router Nat acceleration and Jumbo frame are enabled, QoS is disabled, and I've disabled the firewall. I've tried only one router (Master) as well. Nothing changed. It is intresting, that the master and node routers are connected with cable. My smartphone is connected to the node. I measure 120 Mbps. So the download speed between the routers with cable is fine. When I measure the speed with any of my Laptops with LAN connection the download speed is slow. How can this be possible? And another interesting thing: the upload speed is always good (30 Mbps), no matter if I use wifi or LAN.
I like to try Merlin firmware as well. Problem is that for the 4G router there is no Merlin, only for the RT. Is it possible to try one Merlin and one Asus firmware in mesh?

Thank You.

Yes, you can run different firmware on each.

Does adding a cheap switch between the clients and the router help? :)

Yes, you can run different firmware on each.

Does adding a cheap switch between the clients and the router help? :)

Unfortunatelly the switch didn't solve the problem. :(
I'am planning to try the Merlin Firmware on the RT-AC68U node, then there is nothing more I can do about it...
It is pretty sad, that I spend a lot of money for a reliable mesh system, but I should have bought a very cheap TP-Link router. Probably it would work much better.

Try powering down your entire network systems infrastructure. Physically unplug the power cord from both the wall AC plug and the router too. Do the same for all your network equipment. Also, unplug all Ethernet cables and any USB devices attached to those routers too.

Leave the system unpowered in this state for at least 10 minutes (an hour or more is ideal).

Now, do the following in this order.
  1. Plug-in the power plug to the main router. Plug-in the power plug to the AC wall outlet. Power up the router and wait at least 5 minutes for it to fully boot up and settle.
  2. Plug-in the power plug to any switches or Wireless AP's you are using. Plug-in the power plug to the AC wall outlet for those devices. Wait at least 2 minutes.
  3. Plug-in the Ethernet cables from the main router to any switches or to any wired client devices, including wired AP's or AiMesh nodes. Power up those devices.
Has the LAN download speed improved?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!