What's new

Slow LAN speed on Gig speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramz

Regular Contributor
Hi just bought the RT-AC86U. I am connected to a rogers modem GIG speed via bridge mode. I am also using TP-Link AV 2000 2-Port 2000 Mbps power line adapters to connect to my streaming box downstairs. I am not sure why I am only getting 170Mbps download when I am using 1 gig speed. Now I know I wont get that kind of speed, but 170 is kinda slow. Any ideas or settings I should change? I am on Merlin firmware.

Register for the Rogers forum:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/node-display-id/category%3AEnglishCommunity

After that, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab and copy the entire Downstream overview table, all the way to the last character in the OFDMA section at the bottom of the table. Create a new post in the Rogers forum and paste that data into a post. Ignore the data above the Downstream Overview. We'll start with that.

When you connect directly to the modem, with the modem in Gateway mode, what you get for speedtest results using the http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/ speedtest. Alternatively you can try the www.speedtest.net Toronto Vmedia or Montreal Ebox servers.

All things being equal, you should see the same wired speedtest results for both Gateway direct, and Bridge mode thru the router. The choice of speedtest sites and choice of browser are important to the results. Try the speedtests with different browsers just to see what the differences are.

Register for the Rogers forum:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/node-display-id/category%3AEnglishCommunity

After that, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab and copy the entire Downstream overview table, all the way to the last character in the OFDMA section at the bottom of the table. Create a new post in the Rogers forum and paste that data into a post. Ignore the data above the Downstream Overview. We'll start with that.

When you connect directly to the modem, with the modem in Gateway mode, what you get for speedtest results using the http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/ speedtest. Alternatively you can try the www.speedtest.net Toronto Vmedia or Montreal Ebox servers.

All things being equal, you should see the same wired speedtest results for both Gateway direct, and Bridge mode thru the router. The choice of speedtest sites and choice of browser are important to the results. Try the speedtests with different browsers just to see what the differences are.

Sorry log into rogers modem or ASUS to get DOCSIS WAN Tab?

Modem in Gateway mode: use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Modem in Bridge mode: you can only use 192.168.100.1 This will work thru the router, so you don't need a direct connection to the modem in order to log into the modem when its in Bridge mode.

Modem in Gateway mode: use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Modem in Bridge mode: you can only use 192.168.100.1 This will work thru the router, so you don't need a direct connection to the modem in order to log into the modem when its in Bridge mode.

Thanks got it now will go to rogers site. Ok I posted the numbers under Rogers Hitron coda 4582 Hardware on Rogers site.

Last edited:
Hi I posted more info for you.

Hi just bought the RT-AC86U. I am connected to a rogers modem GIG speed via bridge mode. I am also using TP-Link AV 2000 2-Port 2000 Mbps power line adapters to connect to my streaming box downstairs. I am not sure why I am only getting 170Mbps download when I am using 1 gig speed. Now I know I wont get that kind of speed, but 170 is kinda slow. Any ideas or settings I should change? I am on Merlin firmware.

Did you buy that from staples for $149.99

And you have confirmed your speeds prior to the router? Can you go direct to the modem with your computer?

So......

- confirmed speeds are near full expected speeds when connected directly to ISP device
- testing is being done via wired

This leaves.....

- have you changed/swapped out cables to confirm one isn't causing issues?
- have you confirmed NAT acceleration is enabled? (I don't know if this is an issue on this model or not...I know it was on the N66)
- do you have QoS or Limits enabled?

So......

- confirmed speeds are near full expected speeds when connected directly to ISP device
- testing is being done via wired

This leaves.....

- have you changed/swapped out cables to confirm one isn't causing issues?
- have you confirmed NAT acceleration is enabled? (I don't know if this is an issue on this model or not...I know it was on the N66)
- do you have QoS or Limits enabled?
No have not checked cables. They are new Cat 6 and Cat 7 I am using. I have not checked Nat acceleration where would I find that?? and yes have QoS enabled and Limits are not set.

Well part of the problem is that you are using powerline adapters. My understanding is that if they are not on the same circuit as the router, your speeds will be negatively impacted.

Well part of the problem is that you are using powerline adapters. My understanding is that if they are not on the same circuit as the router, your speeds will be negatively impacted.
Yes I would say is the reason for speed loss. My Wifi is no better on mi Mi 3 android box which can handle AC speed. Speed test I get 100 to 120 Mbps at most with my GIG modem. I have read all the ways to try other channels and MHZ bandwith.

I thought you were doing all testing directly wired to the router? Is your testing being done via the powerline adapters????

I thought you were doing all testing directly wired to the router? Is your testing being done via the powerline adapters????
When I get back going to take MI 3 box and wire it in my modem directly. Yes testing was done via powerline adapters to my MI3 box.