What's new

Slow NAS speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EDWAR376

New Around Here
Hi,
I have a Iomega Storecenter IX2-200 connected via my BT Home hub which is running extremely slow when backing up data.

When plugged directly into my PC using ethernet I experience speeds of 25MB/sec but when connected wirelessly through the router the speed is only 2.1MB/sec.....

Seems a big gap...Any advise on how to speed up the wireless connection?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Well 2.1 MB/sec over wireless is actually not doing too bad. Just remember that gigabit has a bandwidth of 1000 Mbps. (about 119 MB/sec max) 802.11g (wireless-g) has a max bandwidth of 54 Mbps. (about 6.4 MB/sec max) Generally though actual speeds over a wireless G connection are maybe a third of that at least in my experience. It does depend on your hardware but my guess is there is not much that can be done to increase your wireless speed.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

00Roush

thanks for your response.... I shall use wireless for smaller backups and connect direct to make larger backups........

Many thanks

WiFi: good rule of thumb:
Net throughput about 60% of indicated air link rate. Assuming no competition for air time from neighbors.

You should use the fastest Wi-Fi standard that your clients support and use ethernet for devices that don't need to be on Wi-Fi if you want to achieve the best speeds you can.

Patient to doctor: "It hurts when I backup using WiFi".
Doctor: "Well, backup using ethernet or USB3"

Lol... good one! :)

Hi,
I have a Iomega Storecenter IX2-200 connected via my BT Home hub which is running extremely slow when backing up data.

When plugged directly into my PC using ethernet I experience speeds of 25MB/sec but when connected wirelessly through the router the speed is only 2.1MB/sec.....

Seems a big gap...Any advise on how to speed up the wireless connection?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Hello,

Which back up software you are using for it?

Doubt he'll repost since this thread is 8 years old and the OP only has two posts. Ahhh wireless G...I'm still using two LinksysWRT 54GL's bridged to cover 4 floors of concrete construction in our school. They run for about six months straight before they need a reboot! My Asus needs a daily reboot....