What's new

Slow perfomance with RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maude

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've recently had Gigabit Internet with fiber installed and I can't seem to get full performance from my RT-AC3200.

I had to use PPoE and VLAN 35 in IPTV to finally connect to ISP and it worked. Then I tried WiFi but I couldn't get past 275Gb which is quite normal. I then bought 150 feet of Cat6 and connected my laptop straight into the router. I couldn't get more than 350 Gb.

Could it be that the router can't handle Gigabit speeds ? I confess that I have a firewall script installed (Adamm's, customed).

I'm open to suggestions !

Thanks !

Maude

Any consumer router you can buy today needs to have hardware acceleration enabled to hit Gbit WAN speeds.

I suspect that your custom script or more likely another setting is disabling HA on your router.

Even the latest routers with dual 1.4GHz processors cannot properly handle those Gbit ISP speeds without HA enabled, your RT-AC3200 is doing all it can with the options and custom configuration you have set.

Well,

I found the issue: in the WAN panel of the router there is this box... MAC Address... I had foolishly pressed the MAC clone button and the MAC that was there was the one from my laptop. When setting up the DHCP options in the Bell router, I saw that the MAC from the Asus in the list of clients was indeed not the one I specified in the WAN panel. I copied the MAC and pasted it in the box and.... Magic !

I'm surprised it even worked at all with the wrong MAC. Somehow it chopped the download rate by more than half.

I now get this:
5201980044.png

It is still a 100 Mb down from the 940 I once got when plugged in the Bell router but it is quite satifying at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions by L&LD.

Maude

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!