What's new

Slow performance with H.264 recording stream through with H.264

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xlarge

Regular Contributor
I have a "Dark fighter" Hikvision camera and watch it through Open VPN with VPN server on an Asus 68u with asuswrt-merlin latest version. And before the asus I have a Wireless router with 40-50 Mbits Down and 16-20 Mbits Up.

I have used video encoding H.264 in the camera which is recommended, but discover that when recording stream together with watching the stream (can't stop during the recording), the result is very poor often nothing but black video. I have tried to go down to poorer quality from 25 frames to 6 and max. bitrate to 2048 from 16384 to 8192 but with poor result. Then I tried mpeg4 instead and then the recording stream was OK also up to 8192 and 16384 bitrate with 25 frames.

Can anyone explain why? Is the H.264 a problem or am I missing a H.264 encoding on my computer.Can my setup with two routers be the problem?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!