What's new

Slow RT-AC66U in AP.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Screwdriver

Occasional Visitor
I have a TP-Link C2600 hooked to my modem and a RT-AC66U in AP mode hardwired in another room. In 2.4 and 5ghz on the Asus AP, wireless speeds max at 5-6MBs pulling files off a USB drive attached to the TP-Link. If I connect to the Asus AP direct to the LAN ports I can hit 60MBs down. If I connect wireless to the TP-Link I get close to those down speeds.

Just wireless is capped at 5-6MBs from the Asus AP.

Running latest Merlin on the Asus.

Try different channel(s). Try new ssid. Try setting the antennae straight up (all of them). Try relocating the AP to a better location (with minimum 3 feet free space all around and at least 10 feet from ground level).

What obstacles are between the client and the router with those results? What is the client?

Try different channel(s). Try new ssid. Try setting the antennae straight up (all of them). Try relocating the AP to a better location (with minimum 3 feet free space all around and at least 10 feet from ground level).

What obstacles are between the client and the router with those results? What is the client?

The RT-AC66U is 6' from where I am sitting in a clear path and on the same level as my laptop. Moving the laptop closer, holding it in different positions might make a .5MB/s change...but that is it. Can't get it higher than 3' above the ground.....blame it on my wives fascination with mid-century Danish furniture....

Yesterday I grabbed a bunch of Cat6 patch cables and replaced everything except the run I did from the computer room to the living room, which was Cat6. Asus reports all ports as running at correct speed.

I also tried.

• Moving antennas to different positions....even tried some high gain ones I had.
  • Flashed to latest ASUS firmware since it is based on a newer build than Merlin.
  • Hard reset router and AP and reset everything.
  • Used a USB 3.0 AC1200 adapter on the laptop
  • Uninstalled wireless adapter drivers and tried ones from laptop vendor and chipset vendor.
  • Installed a network folder app on my iPad and transferred files from the Asus AP and the TP-Link and it shows the same speed as the laptop. Asus is still slow.

This was never an issue until the wife has been working from home due to surgery. So I have been working on my laptop and moving files to and from the drive attached to the TP-Link. I can connect to the TP-Link which is 30' further than the ASUS and transfer files many times faster.

I was thinking of getting a Linksys AC1200WRT for the fast storage and putting that where the TP-Link is and then making the TP-Link the AP instead of the ASUS.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!