1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Slow speed with RPi 3B+ and gig ethernet

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by ajp2k14, Feb 19, 2019.

1. ajp2k14

ajp2k14 Regular Contributor

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. ajp2k14

I bought a 5-port TP-link switch which I connected the Pi to instead of directly to the AC86U, no difference. Then I disovered that the switch had a web interface where I could enable flow control for each port so I enabled it for the Pi-port, the iperf3 speeds then went from 70-ish Mbps to 230Mbps+...

Is there something like flow control on the AC86U switch hardware?

3. ajp2k14

I see it's been discussed here before, should have searched better. Seems still no solution though...

4. unsynaps

unsynaps Senior Member

Just a question. What speed are you expecting?

If you did not know Ethernet on the Pi 3B+ (like all other Pi's) run off the USB 2.0 bus. This means while you will get a gig (on the 3B+) link you will NEVER get gig speed. You will max out at a theoretical 480 megabits per second because that is the fastest USB 2.0 goes.

5. elorimer

elorimer Very Senior Member

The 3B+ is spec'd at a maximum 300.