What's new

Slow speed with RT-AC68P after Upgrading to 384.16_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I just upgraded my RT-AC68P to Firmware version 384.16_0. Now my internet speed dropped from 90MB down / 6MB up, to 2MB down / 2 MB up.

Before the upgrade the router was working fine, except for the fact that it would sporadically not let me login to the GUI management interface. It would still let me connect VPNs and was routing traffic just fine, but I would have to reboot the router to be able to login to the GUI interface.

Do I have a bad router, or is there something going on with this latest firmware release?

What firmware were you on before the upgrade? Did you perform a full reset/Initialize to factory defaults? Did you use a saved backup config file after resetting?

Are you using scripts? Did you update those, as needed? What scripts are you using?

Are you using a VPN on the router? Any other customizations to it?

What client device are you testing with? From what distance?

Have you rebooted the router since upgrading it? Have you rebooted the testing device? And then waited 10 minutes for both to settle? Has it helped?

I just upgraded my RT-AC68P to Firmware version 384.16_0. Now my internet speed dropped from 90MB down / 6MB up, to 2MB down / 2 MB up.

Before the upgrade the router was working fine, except for the fact that it would sporadically not let me login to the GUI management interface. It would still let me connect VPNs and was routing traffic just fine, but I would have to reboot the router to be able to login to the GUI interface.

Do I have a bad router, or is there something going on with this latest firmware release?
It looks like I had a VPN tunnel open to my house in FL.
What firmware were you on before the upgrade? Did you perform a full reset/Initialize to factory defaults? Did you use a saved backup config file after resetting?

Are you using scripts? Did you update those, as needed? What scripts are you using?

Are you using a VPN on the router? Any other customizations to it?

What client device are you testing with? From what distance?

Have you rebooted the router since upgrading it? Have you rebooted the testing device? And then waited 10 minutes for both to settle? Has it helped?
It looks like the problem was caused by an OpenVPN tunnel that was open to my FL home (also an Asus router). Don't know why the traffic was going thru that tunnel, as the client on this router was set to "Force Internet Traffic thru Tunnel = No". When I disabled the tunnel, the problem went away.