What's new

Slow speed with RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattyKfromPA

New Around Here
I’m running an RT-AC68U and recently upgraded to a gigabit connection. So far, I’m only able to achieve about 120 Mbps when standing about 3 feet from the router. Any ideas on how to get more out of the router?

First, stand further away. You're too close to get any indication of what it is capable of. :)

What firmware are you running? How current is it? What customizations have you done to the router? What ISP speeds were you paying for before? Were those achievable over WiFi?

What clients are you using to test with?

Are you using any extra features of the router? If you are using RMerlin firmware, are you using any additional scripts too?

I’m running 3.0.0.4.385_20253 and no other modifications have been done. Previously, I was only paying for 20 Mbps. I’m testing with Ookla Speedtest.

What client (devices) are you using to test with? Handheld devices favor battery savings over performance, by default.

Use your most powerful laptop while plugged in and set to 'Performance' profile to get the best speeds.

ethernet cable matters.

and like L&LD suggested use actual pc to test.
It will be even better if you can just hook up a laptop without going thru the router. then you can determine if it's cause by the router

make sure you don't have QoS turn on ... my friend was bitch about how he only get 100Mbps after upgrade to 200Mbps ... and he forgot he had dynamic QoS on his Netgear router on. I asked few times but he was like nope, didn't have QoS. And 30 min later, he came back saying he had QoS on and that's what caused the issue.

Are you connected via 5GHz or only slower 2,4GHz band?
Use 5G set to fix channel (test which one gives best performance) and 80MHz bandwith.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!