What's new

Slow speeds and lag on new Asus 86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adoz

Regular Contributor
We recently got 362 down and 36 up fibre broadband with Virgin Media here in the UK. I ran a few speed tests when we first got the broadband modem and the speeds were exactly as advertised as long as you were in the same room as the modem. In my bedroom upstairs though, it would be halved. However, there were hardly lag spikes in games we played which was good. If there were latency issues we figured it was because of the current congestion going on. We were having low signals in some areas of the house with the Hub they gave us so we figured we should buy a good router to help with that.

We now have the Hub in modem mode and connected to our Asus 86U. Even though we have way better signals with the 86U the speeds seems to be struggling a bit still. Even slightly worse than with the Hub. With that, we tend to get a decent amount of lag spikes whilst gaming. When we were using the Virgin Hub the signals were low but we hardly got latency spikes in games unless someone started heavily downloading.

I've tried the latest Asus firmware and I'm currently on the latest Merlin firmware but both seems to have this issue. I'm not too sure if its the Hub in modem mode that's having the issue if maybe there's settings on the Asus 86U I should be changing. Or maybe its just all over the place at the moment due to Covid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

To add to this, most of the devices are using the 5GHz band. The wifi settings seems to be the same as they were on the Hub.

Have a play with the QOS settings on the 86U would be my suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adaptive QOS and set the priority of different traffic types according to your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I turned off QoS and did a speed test on my pc and get the same results. I noticed switching from channel 140 to 112 on 5GHz makes a difference in speed. Are there specific settings I should be using here to help with latency and speed? For example the width and channel?

I turned off QoS and did a speed test on my pc and get the same results. I noticed switching from channel 140 to 112 on 5GHz makes a difference in speed. Are there specific settings I should be using here to help with latency and speed? For example the width and channel?

Can you try a speed test with an ethernet cable and laptop? With nothing connected. I have one of these routers with Sky fibre and always get the speed, minus a few MB you will always lose speed via WiFi, you need to take in to account, conditions, how many other people and length from where you are. I will post my WiFi settings to copy if you like?

There is a new Asus firmware version that came out this week that has better QOS and game settings. Flash the Asus firmware, factory reset, configure, use the gui to check for the new firmware. Set QOS manual and start with 95% of download and 90% of upload. Have a try with the game settings, too.
If you do not need the media server or samba server then them off. Wifi set 2.4 to 20 mhz 1, 6 or 11. 5 GHZ try on ch 36.

I will post my WiFi settings to copy if you like?

Yes please! Unfortunately I don't have a laptop with an ethernet slot to test it. I've currently gone back to the Hub to see if it's laggy on there as well so I'll see how it goes.

There is a new Asus firmware version that came out this week that has better QOS and game settings. Flash the Asus firmware, factory reset, configure, use the gui to check for the new firmware. Set QOS manual and start with 95% of download and 90% of upload. Have a try with the game settings, too.
If you do not need the media server or samba server then them off. Wifi set 2.4 to 20 mhz 1, 6 or 11. 5 GHZ try on ch 36.

I'll try this tonight, thanks. Is there any benefit from using channel 36 over 140 or 112?

@Adoz if you're in or near an Airport or Military zone (aka Radar/Weather), Control Channel 36 to 48 should be a marked benefit. :)

@Adoz if you're in or near an Airport or Military zone (aka Radar/Weather), Control Channel 36 to 48 should be a marked benefit. :)

I don't believe I am near an airport or military zone. Only problem is with channels 36 to 48 I seem to get slower download speeds.

Or, they don't want you to know you are. :)

I don't believe I am near an airport or military zone. Only problem is with channels 36 to 48 I seem to get slower download speeds.

Set the 5g channel to auto, and bandwidth to 20/40/80 apply. Go to professional and disable roaming assistant and apply. Disable all QoS and bandwidth limits. Try swapping the ethernet cable too, maybe faulty.

Set the 5g channel to auto, and bandwidth to 20/40/80 apply. Go to professional and disable roaming assistant and apply. Disable all QoS and bandwidth limits. Try swapping the ethernet cable too, maybe faulty.

These are my settings atm. Is everything in check? I also disabled roaming assistant for 5ghz. It changed to channel 48 though. With the channel it put me on I seem to get about 40mbps less download speed. The only reason I wouldn't believe it's the cable is because I've been able to hit max speeds on my iphone in the same room as my pc. Maybe it's an issue with my wifi adapter as well?

Attachments

• 2.4ghz.PNG
    2.4ghz.PNG
    245 KB · Views: 276
  • 5ghz.PNG
    5ghz.PNG
    180.5 KB · Views: 278
Hmm, scratch that. I'm getting very close to max speeds on my iPhone again with the settings I showed just before. So I guess channels 112 and 48 don't actually effect download speed after all? Weird that my Iphone is able to get max speeds but my pc can't, I thought I had a decent wifi adapter (TP-LINK Archer T6E). Good to know its not the modem or router. Any reason my pc might be slow?

I would buy Intel/Asus only for the longest usability and fastest performance possible too. :)

I would buy Intel/Asus only for the longest usability and fastest performance possible too. :)

Any specific adapters you would recommend? Also are there any major differences between USB and PCI adapters?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!