What's new

Slow WAN performance 384.15

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim Gifford

Occasional Visitor
I've been investigating this the last few days. My internet is Frontier, I've been complaining of speeds dropping before 300 for the last 2 weeks. I pay for 500/500.

Using speedtest inside of the RT-AC88U, my speeds show 380/350. But if I connect my laptop directly to ONT, my speeds are 580/540.

I have no ideas on how to tweak the WAN interface to get this back to the acceptable speeds, anyone have any ideas.

I have rebuilt the router from a factory reset. I have disabled it's AIMESH peer.

I've been investigating this the last few days. My internet is Frontier, I've been complaining of speeds dropping before 300 for the last 2 weeks. I pay for 500/500.

Using speedtest inside of the RT-AC88U, my speeds show 380/350. But if I connect my laptop directly to ONT, my speeds are 580/540.

I have no ideas on how to tweak the WAN interface to get this back to the acceptable speeds, anyone have any ideas.

I have rebuilt the router from a factory reset. I have disabled it's AIMESH peer.

Try this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-setting-qos-for-my-fiber-rt-ac68u.63077/#post-566894 :) HW Acceleration for WAN to LAN

There's new Merlin firmware for the Ac88u available (let's get you up to date first)

Did you test wired or wireless when testing with the router?
What scripts are you running?
Disable QoS as @Woytaz mentioned

Upgraded to 384.16 - No change
Disabled as listed above no change.

Validated laptop connection again 580/560 today.

Upgraded to 384.16 - No change
Disabled as listed above no change.

Validated laptop connection again 580/560 today.

Do you have NAT acceleration fully enabled (CTF+FA)? FA is a keyplayer, you can check at Tools-Sys info-below is Network and HW acceleration status.
And there is one thing i remember - if someones Asus was "slow" at NAT accel. then when they change router to Briged AP mode with dhcp disabled, and main ISP router handels DHCP server function, then asus was very fast on wan to lan, you can check ;)

It's enabled. According to Asus, they are saying this can't handle the 1GB hand-off from my ISP. As a side note, I did just order a AX6100 system from Asus, so we will see if it has the same issue.

Even with PPPOE he should be able to hit those numbers.
True. I just remember there was an issue in the past with PPPoE on John's fork where it didn't enable hardware acceleration. I was wondering whether that problem had resurfaced in Merlin's firmware.

True. I just remember there was an issue in the past with PPPoE on John's fork where it didn't enable hardware acceleration. I was wondering whether that problem had resurfaced in Merlin's firmware.
In my experience with my RT-AC87U and Merlin up to its current version, enabling PPPoE disables FA but leaves CTF on and the router still maxes out my 1000/100 fibre, although the CPU goes up to 100% during a speedtest which it doesn't with FA on, that's all.

OP, by "speedtest inside of the RT-AC88U" do you mean a speedtest script that runs on the router itself? Those aren't reliable at high speeds, you have to run the speedtest on your laptop connected to the router.

Otherwise an RT-AC88U should be able to do 500/500 easily. I'd try to factory reset the router and reconfigure it from scratch with a basic WAN and LAN configuration and test with that.

I've done the speedtest connected with a cable to the RT-AC88U, done it inside the router, and directly to the ONT.

I've disabled everything including wifi on the RT-AC88U, no changes. I did a factory reset after I installed 384.16 and reconfigured. I'll do it again today.

In my experience with my RT-AC87U and Merlin up to its current version, enabling PPPoE disables FA but leaves CTF on and the router still maxes out my 1000/100 fibre, although the CPU goes up to 100% during a speedtest which it doesn't with FA on, that's all.

OP, by "speedtest inside of the RT-AC88U" do you mean a speedtest script that runs on the router itself? Those aren't reliable at high speeds, you have to run the speedtest on your laptop connected to the router.

Otherwise an RT-AC88U should be able to do 500/500 easily. I'd try to factory reset the router and reconfigure it from scratch with a basic WAN and LAN configuration and test with that.

I can confirm this when I upgraded to fibre also.

That was one of the primary reason's I upgraded to the AX88U as it has hardware acceleration on PPPOE the older routers do not.

My old 68U could do 940 Mbps both ways across the WAN with only CTF enabled. As mentioned earlier core 1 of the cpu would be pegged at 100 percent.

Last resort
Power down everything....modem and router....for about 1/2 hour (this will force a reset on your ISP side). Power up modem and let it sync, then the router.

But the issue is not at the ONT, when directly connected I get the High Speeds, but when I plug into the RT-AC88U, I get in the low 300's. Tonight I'm leaving my laptop plugged in, and I have a script that can keep testing the speed every 30 mins. Just to see. Which is what I've done previously connected to the router.

I cloned the MAC address of the router to the same as the laptop, no change. Also cloned the router's address on the Laptop, no change.

That's strange, these routers are usually pretty reliable and you can be assured that a fully working RT-AC88U with a basic WAN configuration (eg. with QoS turned off and without needing any tweaks) can handle 500/500 easily.

There may be something else but as you have a new router already on the way you may as well wait for that before doing more tests.