What's new

slow Wi-Fi on my rt ac 88 u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
My rt ac 88 u is seriously sick I fear . I have a Roku ultra hard wired into it and it streams fine no buffering at all yet any device I have connected to it via Wi-Fi is just so slow . I have a tiny 300mbs single band (2.4) passing through it so it's not using the smart DNS servers the rt ac 88 u uses and the speed is much better. I am running Merlin firmware 15 at present. Any ideas on what is going on greatly appreciated

@royarcher it may help to provide a detailed outline of your network, clients and router setup.

There is so much that 'might' be wrong that it becomes just a guessing game.

If I had 15 to 30 minutes on this network, I would do a full/nuclear reset of the complete network. That would at least bring us to a known state. Past that, the issue will either resolve itself by the reset itself, or, it would indicate a hardware issue.

No need to repeat myself here (as you're familiar with my suggested guides), but for others, please see my signature for a link to them and other useful information.

Let's see what you're able to provide and the answers that brings. Otherwise, going 'nuclear' is in your near future. :)

@royarcher it may help to provide a detailed outline of your network, clients and router setup.

There is so much that 'might' be wrong that it becomes just a guessing game.

If I had 15 to 30 minutes on this network, I would do a full/nuclear reset of the complete network. That would at least bring us to a known state. Past that, the issue will either resolve itself by the reset itself, or, it would indicate a hardware issue.

No need to repeat myself here (as you're familiar with my suggested guides), but for others, please see my signature for a link to them and other useful information.

Let's see what you're able to provide and the answers that brings. Otherwise, going 'nuclear' is in your near future. :)
Thanks for your response . I have been going to do the nuclear reset I just need a time when my wife's out for a while so I can do it . Saturday morning is market day so I get a few hours alone so ill do it then and post the results. And yes I don't need to click on your signature I have done it once before and it worked a treat so I think it will do the trick I am Just also a bit lazy I suppose hoping it may be something small that I missed

In that case, refresh everyone's memory how your network is setup. Too much detail is not possible. :)

Who knows, it may allow you to keep being 'lazy' for a bit longer. :)

In that case, refresh everyone's memory how your network is setup. Too much detail is not possible. :)

Who knows, it may allow you to keep being 'lazy' for a bit longer. :)
It's pretty simple the AC 88 U is. set up with express VPNs Media streaming DNS server it's basic job is really to facilitate my Roku Ultra device . Then I have a tiny tp link 300 set up to pass through the Asus for phones and laptops so we can get local content oh and I have another Roku stick and a Telstra Roku unit ( Telstra Roku is for local content like SBS and ABC) in the bedroom. I haven't disabled Beam forming . I have tried turning off the QOS and that doesn't make any difference . I am running Merlin firmware version 15 I did the factory reset after flashing the router . Down here in Australia we have entered into stage 3 covid19 rule , which means that the only reasons people should be out and about is for exercise, food shopping work or study If necessary and I forget the 4th but in essence it means that our NBN is under extreme pressure as everyone working and playing from home is fighting for his or her piece of the internet . Having said that it is bad at the moment but even before the covid 19 rules/ laws it was slow thanks l&LD I really appreciate you taking the time to help your bloods worth bottling

Slow WiFi with VPN's in the midst of COVID-19? You don't say! :)

How is the network responding without the VPN's in play? :)

Slow WiFi with VPN's in the midst of COVID-19? You don't say! :)

How is the network responding without the VPN's in play? :)
I know I'm a noob but give me some credit I know how much a VPN connection can slow things down

But I'm not downplaying your 'credit', I just want to know what the network performance is like without the VPNs. ;)

But I'm not downplaying your 'credit', I just want to know what the network performance is like without the VPNs. ;)
Sorry I didn't mean anything by that it was really tongue in cheek but to tell the thruth when I am using a VPN connection it is terrible even the Roku device amazon usually either won't load or takes twice as long

Last edited:
I think it may be time for your nuclear reset that way,as you mentioned earlier, at least I will know if it's a hardware issue. I must have purchased the ac 88 u at least 3 years ago and maybe even 4 . I'll have to go on to my amazon account and see exactly when I purchased it . How long should a router like this last do you think, bearing in mind that in this house someone is usually streaming video for maybe 10 to 15 hours a day and always someone on facebook or something of the like

@royarcher, no worries. :)

Many routers last much longer, but with that kind of usage, this may be near the end? I remember a whole lot of RT-AC66U's last just under or just over a year back in 2015/16.

But let's see if anyone else may offer any suggestions and even if the reset needs to be performed, let's still hope for the best! :)

F
@royarcher, no worries. :)

Many routers last much longer, but with that kind of usage, this may be near the end? I remember a whole lot of RT-AC66U's last just under or just over a year back in 2015/16.

But let's see if anyone else may offer any suggestions and even if the reset needs to be performed, let's still hope for the best! :)
fingers crossed I would hate to see the end of this router it really has served me well but looking at the bright side the war office can't give me grief for buying say the rx 88 u after all she has retired from the teaching profession and spends a lot of time either streaming or face booking. So I suppose its true about clouds and silver and stuff

Fingers crossed then! :)

I hope all your clouds are wispy and the silvery stuff is what the best dreams are made of! ;)

Fingers crossed then! :)

I hope all your clouds are wispy and the silvery stuff is what the best dreams are made of! ;)
Uno the strange thing is that if I swap radios say from the 2.4 to the 5 ghz when it is slow it will be like it used to be as in fast for a while then it will slow down again weird eh ?

Yes, that is 'weird'.

Keep the details coming, maybe something obvious will jump at someone and be able to help then. :)

Yes, that is 'weird'.

Keep the details coming, maybe something obvious will jump at someone and be able to help then. :)
Well I thought I would first try and simply flash the v 15 trx file again and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't done a hard reset yet but as long as the speed doesn't fail I probably won't bother. I know that it's still to early to tell but I've still got those fingers crossed, I'm actually getting a cramp now so I think ill have to uncross them and go and find a rabbit with a spare foot , I'll keep you posted thanks again l&ld