What's new

Slow Wifi issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diehardfan

Occasional Visitor
Currently on Merlin build 3.0.0.4.270.24 and having wifi speed issues. Using only 2.4GHz on Channel 1 (5GHz disabled) and the next closest wifi signal in my area is channel 3. I am on DSL 15Mbps/1Mbps profile.

When I am standing right next to the router, I am getting close to full speedtest. But, being just about 10 meters away with no walls on the same floor, practically in the line of sight of the router, I get only about 100KB/s.
I am coming from a WRT54GL with ThiborWRT and has solid wifi. Given the same test circumstances as above I was getting between 500-600KB/s.

What settings/recommendations should I try to get better wifi speeds?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Channel 1 and 3 overlap. Move to a different channel at the other end of the spectrum if possible, and test again.

I would check the wireless card of your laptop/wireless device personally. Even 500KB/600 KB is slower than normal. Should be easily hitting 1 MB/s with 802.11g (on those older routers).

Channel 1 and 3 overlap.
...if you use 40 MHz channel bandwidth. Try to use only 20 MHz.
Details on this 40 MHz issue can be found here: Bye Bye 40 MHz Mode in 2.4 GHz

You can also check if the changing Enhanced interference management (on the Professional tab) makes a difference in your case.

Keep in mind to change only one by one and check the difference... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

You can also check if the changing Enhanced interference management (on the Professional tab) makes a difference in your case.

With kind regards

No, it will also overlap with 20 MHz. A 20 MHz channel uses a bit more bandwidth than a single channel, so someone on channel 1 will overlap with 2, and someone on channel 3 will also overlap over 2.

That's why there is effectively only 3 (4 in some regions) usable channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Anything else will have some overlap.

That's why tools like Wifi Analyzer show detected SSIDs as bubbles, not as straight bars just over their respective channels.

Channel 1 and 3 overlap. Move to a different channel at the other end of the spectrum if possible, and test again.

I would check the wireless card of your laptop/wireless device personally. Even 500KB/600 KB is slower than normal. Should be easily hitting 1 MB/s with 802.11g (on those older routers).

Ch 1 is the least populated channel in my area, there is only one other wifi on Ch 1 that can only be picked up in some areas of my house, but beyond that its there are 3-4 wifi in each respective channels.

I am using 3 different devices next to each other for all my test, all android phones, Nexus 4, T-Mobile G2 and Samsung S2X, running the test one after another and NOT simultaneously. All giving about the same ball park speed of 100KB/s +/-50KB/s.
Merlin to be honest, I would be more than happy with 500-600KB/s, obviously more the better. Just that when steaming videos (aka youtube etc) via wifi there is lot of buffering at current speeds. I rarely transfer files over wifi, so all I need is smooth video streaming.

With kind regards

No, did not make much of a difference. Thanks.

Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just use 20MHz bandwidth with a fixed channel. Try each channel and see the channel that performs best.

I have noticed that after several channel and 20 to 40 MHz setting changes that mine will stick at the 200 speed also. After a reboot of the router , my speeds will be back up. Try a reboot.

Have you tried rebooting/resetting your modem? If not, one thing that you can try is to power cycle your modem, and leave it off for a while with your router powered down as well. Then power the modem back up and let it stabilize, then power up the router and see where your at. Not sure that this will help, but if you just changed routers without doing this, then it might.

If you have a modem that has a backup battery for VoIP like I do, then resetting your modem is the best that you may be able to do. Although you can pull the battery, my ISP tells me to never do that *smile*. I have pulled the battery a couple of times, and the modem did come back up fine and connect to my ISP, etc.

Last edited:
Tried both rebooting and power cycling, best I could get was 300KB/s.

Unfortunately, gonna try Shibby and see if that works.

I have noticed that after several channel and 20 to 40 MHz setting changes that mine will stick at the 200 speed also. After a reboot of the router , my speeds will be back up. Try a reboot.

Have you tried rebooting/resetting your modem? If not, one thing that you can try is to power cycle your modem, and leave it off for a while with your router powered down as well. Then power the modem back up and let it stabilize, then power up the router and see where your at. Not sure that this will help, but if you just changed routers without doing this, then it might.

If you have a modem that has a backup battery for VoIP like I do, then resetting your modem is the best that you may be able to do. Although you can pull the battery, my ISP tells me to never do that *smile*. I have pulled the battery a couple of times, and the modem did come back up fine and connect to my ISP, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!