What's new

Slow WiFi on RT-AX56U 386.5_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LadaBr

New Around Here
I recently bought this model and flashed latest Merlin on it. Only addon I use is Diversion. My phone supports WiFi 6 and I also bought TP-Link TX50E PCIe adapters. None of these devices can reach higher speed than 200 Mbit/s. Speed is constant all over the appartment that is 90 m2 big. I live in panel house and there are only 2 other wifi's in the range but they are on different channels. Using cable I can reach 1000/500 speed all the time. I tried to flash stock firmware and wifi speed improved to 860 Mbit/s but only in very close range to the router. When distance was >1m speed decreased to 300-400 Mbit/s. I tried to change WPA2 to WP3 too. No difference. Both stock and Merlin have WiFi 6 slower than WiFi 5 on my previous router RT-AC58U.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @LadaBr.

I would simply change the RT-AX56U hardware to an RT-AX68U or better.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Before you do that though, after flashing the latest firmware you want to test, have you performed a full reset to factory defaults, followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP? Without using any saved backup config files?

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

The following links may also be useful to get the router back to a good/known state and perform optimally in your environment.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!