What's new

Slow wifi speed on Xt8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carchayser

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys! My current ISP plan is 600 down and 1gb up. When running a speedtest using my pc (connected via ethernet to xt8), I am getting that said speed. However, when connecting wirelessly, I am only getting around 300-400 down and 300-400 up. When I connect wirelessly directly to the modem, I am getting my subscribed speed. Is there any setting in the XT8 that needs to be changed in order for it to give me my subscribed speed? Here's my topology:

Modem -> Main XT8 -> 9 nodes (a mix of XT8, XD6, TUF-AX3000 and TUF-AX5400). Of the 9 nodes, only 1 is using wifi backhaul (XT8), the rest are ethernet.

I've tried removing the one node using wifi backhaul in order for ethernet backhaul mode to be activated but it still gives me the same results. I haven't tried to factory reset yet because with all the nodes I have it would be a pain in the butt to reconfigure everything from scratch.

I know it is a little overkill but I live in the Philippines and all the walls are made of concrete which is why so many nodes are needed for whole house coverage.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated, short of factory resetting everything.

This is a wrong hardware and configuration choice for optimum performance.

With Ethernet wires available I would go with PoE APs connected to PoE switch and one Router. It will be perhaps cheaper as well. You have 9-10 routers with Wi-Fi enabled all using the same channels and sharing the same bandwidth. I'm surprised you can get 300-400Mbps on Wi-Fi, actually.

Yeah unfortunately asus does not have any poe routers or access points. Redoing everything with another brand (most likely ubiquiti) would not be cost efficient as it would render most of my asus gear useless. And as mentioned, we have concrete walls all over the house which is why I have so many routers.
Anyway, so you’re saying the only way I can get my subscribed speed is to take away some routers to free up bandwidth and channels?

Your system is limited by Gigabit connections. Only 2x clients with 300Mbps speed saturate your ISP connection. Instead of chasing the speed I would break AiMesh and spread the APs across different Wi-Fi channels to guarantee some available bandwidth to clients. Your AiMesh exceeds the maximum (5 including the router) recommended number of nodes. With this hardware you can't have good roaming and AP control options are very limited. Building a system like this needs planning. Otherwise you have to live with what you get from the bunch of home routers you heavily invested in.

Honestly 300-400mbps is not bad. I was just hoping that there must be some configuration I missed in order for me to get to my subscribed speed. I have read some posts here that the XT8 has this sort of problem when the subscribed speed is more than 300mbps, it gets stuck at that speed no matter what. Anyway thanks for your help and maybe I'll "endure" this speed for the meantime.

You realize this subscribed speed can get to one single client only, do you? For this to happen you have to have no other active clients and quiet Wi-Fi environment. I'm not convinced you need 9x routers in a family house. I have a house in Europe with similar blocking Wi-Fi brick walls and I do use 4x APs for more even coverage, but all set on low power and using 2x2 different 40MHz wide channels. The system can exceed Gigabit aggregate throughput.

When I get the time I’ll try to remove some routers and see if that improves things. I am aware that 300mbps goes to only one client but unless all clients are running speedtests at the same time, rarely will any of them hit 50mbps, let alone 300mbps.
Just to give you an idea, I live in a 700sqm home with cement walls all over. I started with only a few routers at first but multiple dead spots were present hence me buying more routers to compensate.

When you decide playing with AiMesh is enough, call a local IT company and ask them to make a complete network project for you. I don't know what's available or popular in your country, but you'll be happier with properly set small business equipment. There are wall-plate, ceiling, outdoor APs available for wired and wireless applications. Since most clients are 2-stream you don't need AX3000/AX5400 class APs, but cheaper AX1800 in right places. Since 2.4GHz band has better wall penetration and range some of the APs will work as dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz and some as 5GHz only. A good PoE switch can power not only your APs, but eventual PoE surveillance cameras as well on a VLAN segmented network. Plan ahead for better return of investment.

Last edited:
I do plan on calling an expert to play with my current setup before deciding to invest in new hardware again. Thanks so much for your help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!