What's new

Slowdown in speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archercj

New Around Here
I have a CT8 dual router setup connected to Virgin Gig1. The dedicated 5ghz 2nd channel backhaul is still on and i also have 1 GB Home plugs connecting the two routers.

Normally speeds are great - 450Mb/s is typical through wi-fi (wired shoed nearly 900Mb/s

But occasionally when I am near the remote router my speed drops to around 30Mb/s (but the wired connection still shows 800Mb/s+). The Asus software says the connection is 'great' and shows it has 1GB Ethernet. The routers have the latest firmware.

I have tried restarting the remote router to no effect. It is as if these devices are connected to the main router which is 2 rooms away.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

I have a CT8 dual router setup connected to Virgin Gig1. The dedicated 5ghz 2nd channel backhaul is still on and i also have 1 GB Home plugs connecting the two routers.

Normally speeds are great - 450Mb/s is typical through wi-fi (wired shoed nearly 900Mb/s

But occasionally when I am near the remote router my speed drops to around 30Mb/s (but the wired connection still shows 800Mb/s+). The Asus software says the connection is 'great' and shows it has 1GB Ethernet. The routers have the latest firmware.

I have tried restarting the remote router to no effect. It is as if these devices are connected to the main router which is 2 rooms away.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

What sort of wireless client are you using; what are its connection statistics (WLAN, WLAN settings, signal power, protocol, link rate speed) as you roam from root node to remote node; and how are you measuring speed (a browser speed test on a capable laptop PC is fairly reliable)? How far apart are the two nodes... the client may not be roaming?

OE

Speed testing is never an exact science., I know whilst I was battling with Virgin Media and their apparent slowness. I have a decent i7 Windows 10 laptop that I use for wi-fi testing and tend to use http://proof.ovh.net/. I've also got the nPerf app on my phone and will back their results with SpeedTest and meteor to see if I get a consistent result. Lin rate speed is saying 866/866 as a rule (even with poor performance data). Nodes are no more than 35 feet apart with one door in the way.

I did read something after a Google search last night that people were experiencing issues with backhaul if they had the 2nd 5ghz channel dedicated + an ethernet connection as well with the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_22245). So out of interest I first did a reboot of the remote node but it still showed slow speeds so I unplugged the ethernet cable to the remote router and waited until the ZenWiFi software showed Wireless(5ghz) in uplink type (was previously ethernet) and the status for the link showed 'great'. Then tested again. Speeds were back to what I expected i.e. 350Mb/s+

Speed testing is never an exact science., I know whilst I was battling with Virgin Media and their apparent slowness. I have a decent i7 Windows 10 laptop that I use for wi-fi testing and tend to use http://proof.ovh.net/. I've also got the nPerf app on my phone and will back their results with SpeedTest and meteor to see if I get a consistent result. Lin rate speed is saying 866/866 as a rule (even with poor performance data). Nodes are no more than 35 feet apart with one door in the way.

I did read something after a Google search last night that people were experiencing issues with backhaul if they had the 2nd 5ghz channel dedicated + an ethernet connection as well with the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_22245). So out of interest I first did a reboot of the remote node but it still showed slow speeds so I unplugged the ethernet cable to the remote router and waited until the ZenWiFi software showed Wireless(5ghz) in uplink type (was previously ethernet) and the status for the link showed 'great'. Then tested again. Speeds were back to what I expected i.e. 350Mb/s+

A 35' wireless backhaul might outperform a 35' wired backhaul, especially if the wire is defective(?).

Whether roaming or not, 866 Mbps client link rate is about as good as you'll get, so the slow down may be somewhere else.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!