What's new

small business - WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doogan123

New Around Here
I All - I just stumbled on this forum today and have been browsing through some of the history - I would like to ask a few questions ( that may have been previously answered - am still searching :) )

I run a small network for a mate on East coast. Stats are as follows

Windows
Dell server - about 5 y/o at this point running:
  • AD - running on w2K3 ( I need to add an additional and replicate at this point
  • Internal DNS
  • EPO for McAfee AV

Dell Server about 2 y/o running
  • File and print
  • Backup exec ( single tandberg lto 2 ultarium Tape drive)
  • DFS

Connectivity to Internet
  • Single Ckt (T-1)
  • Cisco 1726.
  • PIX 506E (25 concurrent users)

Internal Network

• 2 2950T-24's
Users
  • About 25 Laptop Users (with Local Admin priviliges Ugghh)
I have 2 questions:

First - they have an small presence on left coast - about 5 users. I have set them up with the VPN client and Drive mappings - however they feel and i agree that its not the best solution for a remote site. What would the best proposal to put forward consist of. I would engage a network guy to implement for me as i am not a network guy - however i want to start getting a good direction thats reliable and at a reasonable price. the issue is definetly the latency aspect.

Second. And this may not be the right place for this portion of question - but what is the best solution for these laptop users. they are heavy file users, save alot locally and over all there is poor control of the data. I do have folder redirection and offline files setup - but its really not the best solution. I was thinking some type of terminal services and fully lock down the laptops?

would ove some thoughts on these items

thanks

Doogan