What's new

Small development update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Since I'm currently juggling with a bunch of balls all at once and people are a bit confused about things, here's a small update about the development side of things.

After 384.4 was released, focus was switched to 380.70. The plan is to backport a few simple fixes from 384, in addition to a few other 380-specific fixes I had been gathering these past few weeks. 380.70 will be the last, final 380.xx release. This release will not contain any new GPL or component updates.

In the meantime, development was started on 384.5. Things on the TODO list at this time for 384.5 are:

• Revising the OpenVPN configuration to make it a bit simpler to deal with, especially on the server side of things where a lot of options are either useless or broken
  • Review some of the OpenVPN client settings as well, including the (probably broken) Poll setting
  • Move the HND platform to the same Busybox version as all other models (which means at least 1.25.1)
  • Evaluate the possibility of moving to a newer Busybox (some preliminary work was done by another developer a few months ago, but had been put on hold since the focus at the time was moving everyone to the new 384 platform, and catching up on Asus's own development
  • Evaluate the feasibility of merging GPL 384_20467 (need to determine if it's compatible with older models first).
  • Component updates (OpenVPN and Dropbear for example)
  • Evaluate a reworked implementation of Traditional QoS that might hopefully be working properly (will require extensive testing on every models)
  • Review the samba configuration on the performance side of things

And a third ball has been juggled with this week, involving a 384.4_2 point release that will include two security fixes, to be hopefully released in the very near future (meaning this weekend).

In terms of release schedule:

384_4.2 (this weekend)
380.70 (in the next 2-3 weeks)
384.5 (no planned ETA, probably looking at something close to a 2-3 months development cycle, depending on how well things will go during the beta phase)

should this be stickied?

No, this info will quickly become outdated anyway, and it's not really important enough to be sticky'ed.

Just curious if the 380.70 release will include the latest security updates when it becomes final?

Thank you for your hard work, Merlin!

I'll start learning up on John's fork so that by the time I have my head wrapped around things there, I'll be able to keep my n66u humming along til it decides to retire

AC88U

Upgrading from 382.1_2 -> 384.4_2

Should I be resetting the Config and setting back up from scratch?

AC88U

Upgrading from 382.1_2 -> 384.4_2

Should I be resetting the Config and setting back up from scratch?

After two attempts my AC88U doesn’t seems to want to update. The process goes along as I would expect but after manually restarting the router, as requested at the end of the update process, I’m still on 382.1_2

Dont manually restart the router just give it a minute and the update will finish.

Dont manually restart the router just give it a minute and the update will finish.

The UI asks me to manually restart the router shortly after the progress bar reaches 100%. Are you saying that it’s telling me to do something that breaks the update process?

It's possible. When i upgrade my 3100 it asks the same thing i just wait a minute or two then its done no manual reboot.

Just curious if the 380.70 release will include the latest security updates when it becomes final?

Thank you for your hard work, Merlin!

No, it won't contain any security fixes Asus might have rolled into the 382 and 384 releases, as I have no way to isolate them within the thousand of line changes since 380_8120.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!