What's new

Smart Connect Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshuajackson

Whenever i enable Smart Connect randomly internet is unavailable and the networks disappear from wireless list on devices. How do i fix this?

Disable Smart Connect. :)

It's a client problem as far as I know. :)

No, just all the devices you have. :)

If you have performed a full reset/Initialize all settings (M&M Config in the link in my signature below) and this issue still persists? I don't know. :)

You need to provide much more details of how and what your network is configured. :)

If you have performed a full reset/Initialize all settings (M&M Config in the link in my signature below) and this issue still persists? I don't know. :)

You need to provide much more details of how and what your network is configured. :)
I left it all at stock settings and ive done resets a lot already and ive tried your method BUT the WPS reset stuff does not work because the power LED just goes blank. I did reset the NVRAM through SSH through

Hope someone can offer suggestions then. But the router model and the firmware you're using along with the things you've tried (maybe some screen snips too) wouldn't hurt either. :)

Hope someone can offer suggestions then. But the router model and the firmware you're using along with the things you've tried (maybe some screen snips too) wouldn't hurt either. :)
What would u like me to take snips of? I'll gladly drop some

First off, why have you disabled AX mode? :)

Secondly, the SSID isn't following the recommended guidelines either. I suggest 8 characters all alphanumeric with no spaces, punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces.

The main password and user name for the router should follow the same guidelines (8 to 16 alphanumeric characters for the username, 16 alphanumeric characters maximum for the password both adhering to the above).

The following settings should be changed (at least for testing).

Auto Control Channel set to 1, 6 or 11. Not Auto.

Channel Bandwidth. 20MHz.

Protected Management Frames: Off.

Preamble Type: Short.

Universal Beamforming. Disable.

(In other words, the defaults for the M&M Config haven't been used here). :)

I would follow the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides step, by step to see if the issue still persists. :)

You are using an alpha firmware....

As part of troubleshooting, the first logical step would be to switch to the last stable one.

Don't use 40 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band. There is far too much interference on that band for you to be able to achieve a stable connection while occupying half of the entire frequency band.

Don't use 40 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band. There is far too much interference on that band for you to be able to achieve a stable connection while occupying half of the entire frequency band.
Ok ill do that
You are using an alpha firmware....

As part of troubleshooting, the first logical step would be to switch to the last stable one.
I just use this firmware to see if the issue is gone and its the same, ive had the same problems on stable released firmware.
First off, why have you disabled AX mode? :)

Secondly, the SSID isn't following the recommended guidelines either. I suggest 8 characters all alphanumeric with no spaces, punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces.

The main password and user name for the router should follow the same guidelines (8 to 16 alphanumeric characters for the username, 16 alphanumeric characters maximum for the password both adhering to the above).

The following settings should be changed (at least for testing).

Auto Control Channel set to 1, 6 or 11. Not Auto.

Channel Bandwidth. 20MHz.

Protected Management Frames: Off.

Preamble Type: Short.

Universal Beamforming. Disable.

(In other words, the defaults for the M&M Config haven't been used here). :)

I would follow the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides step, by step to see if the issue still persists. :)
No i havent used the M&M config because i dont really see a point in that because why would a company release something that does not work? I'll try it out anyways, but i did do a nuclear reset but as i mentioned already the WPS reset function does not work on my router the power LED just goes blank.

It's hit or miss with Smart Connect. FWIW, I finally have a configuration that works FOR ME and my (~30) devices, with 2 node AC86U AI Mesh setup. My IoT devices connect to a guest WiFi SSID, thankfully all in range of the main Router. As long as the router's acsd process doesn't keep kicking in and changing channels everyone is happy. I've messed around and overridden the wl_chanspec nvram variable for both radios at some recent point in the past, and about that time I noticed the acsd didn't kick in anymore - don't know if its a coincidence or some magic sequence of events.

However, the two settings that screwed up WiFi stability regardless of SC or AIMesh are:
Universal Beamforming and airtime fairness. Disabling both of the ON BOTH CHANNELS is critical.
When I DIDNT use Smart Connect (for a time), as others suggest, are fixed channels and make sure 2.4 was set to 20Mhz.

It's hit or miss with Smart Connect. FWIW, I finally have a configuration that works FOR ME and my (~30) devices, with 2 node AC86U AI Mesh setup. My IoT devices connect to a guest WiFi SSID, thankfully all in range of the main Router. As long as the router's acsd process doesn't keep kicking in and changing channels everyone is happy. I've messed around and overridden the wl_chanspec nvram variable for both radios at some recent point in the past, and about that time I noticed the acsd didn't kick in anymore - don't know if its a coincidence or some magic sequence of events.

However, the two settings that screwed up WiFi stability regardless of SC or AIMesh are:
Universal Beamforming and airtime fairness. Disabling both of the ON BOTH CHANNELS is critical.
When I DIDNT use Smart Connect (for a time), as others suggest, are fixed channels and make sure 2.4 was set to 20Mhz.
So doing those steps will likely the issuue?

Here is a link to the Asus reset procedures.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
I've noticed that your AX56U is not listed but the procedure for the other newer AX routers and the AC86U should work for you.
Also, if you want to successfully use SmartConnect go back to the Asus Official firmware. The newest firmware for the AX56U should have Dual Band SmartConnect that allows you to choose fixed channels and bandwidth. (Use ch 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4 GHZ and try CH 36 for 5 GHZ) The problem with your current firmware and smart connect is likely the channels and bandwidth are changing automatically which causes client disconnects. Install the Asus firmware, factory reset and configure the router manually. Avoid special characters in the SSID and leave the WIFI professional settings to default.
There will be naysayers that will say I'm nuts to do this. But, I've been pretty well pleased with my AC86U since I went back to the Official firmware. And it will cost you nothing, but time, to try it out! Best of success.

Here is a link to the Asus reset procedures.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
I've noticed that your AX56U is not listed but the procedure for the other newer AX routers and the AC86U should work for you.
Also, if you want to successfully use SmartConnect go back to the Asus Official firmware. The newest firmware for the AX56U should have Dual Band SmartConnect that allows you to choose fixed channels and bandwidth. (Use ch 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4 GHZ and try CH 36 for 5 GHZ) The problem with your current firmware and smart connect is likely the channels and bandwidth are changing automatically which causes client disconnects. Install the Asus firmware, factory reset and configure the router manually. Avoid special characters in the SSID and leave the WIFI professional settings to default.
There will be naysayers that will say I'm nuts to do this. But, I've been pretty well pleased with my AC86U since I went back to the Official firmware. And it will cost you nothing, but time, to try it out! Best of success.
I'll see if those steps work on Merlin's because i just like the firmware more especially with the ad-dons that just add more functionality. If that does not work ill try out the stock. But i did notice before i used the Stock and the bufferbloat was higher than the merlins one which was quite interesting imo.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!