What's new

Smart connect problem? Asus AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miguel Pereira

New Around Here
Hello All!

I'm a newbie on networking and wireless, I only know the basics, so bear with me.

I purchased a Asus AC86U to use in my house to replace a AC66U that went to another house I have. In between i tryed an Netgear Orbi RK53, but it was a mess. It was always loosing connection everywhere, so i returned it and went back to Asus that was always rock solid.

Anyway, my house is on the big side, and 5Ghz signal cannot reach everywhere with quality. On the old AC66U I had the 2.4ghz and 5ghz separated, and used my mobile phones only on the 2.4ghz channel to insure I didn't have signal drop.

With my new router I was keen on using 5ghz when possible, and let the system choose for itself when to use 2.4ghz. The problem is, when I'm in my bedroom, the 5ghz signal is "just enough", and i keep loosing connection. I think it the mobile phone switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I've yet again split 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal, and the problem disapeared. But is there any other way? I'm not using the potencial when I'm in reach of faster speeds.

Any advice? Should I try to add another asus produto for imesh, or that is just asking for trouble?

Hello All!

I'm a newbie on networking and wireless, I only know the basics, so bear with me.

I purchased a Asus AC86U to use in my house to replace a AC66U that went to another house I have. In between i tryed an Netgear Orbi RK53, but it was a mess. It was always loosing connection everywhere, so i returned it and went back to Asus that was always rock solid.

Anyway, my house is on the big side, and 5Ghz signal cannot reach everywhere with quality. On the old AC66U I had the 2.4ghz and 5ghz separated, and used my mobile phones only on the 2.4ghz channel to insure I didn't have signal drop.

With my new router I was keen on using 5ghz when possible, and let the system choose for itself when to use 2.4ghz. The problem is, when I'm in my bedroom, the 5ghz signal is "just enough", and i keep loosing connection. I think it the mobile phone switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I've yet again split 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal, and the problem disapeared. But is there any other way? I'm not using the potencial when I'm in reach of faster speeds.

Any advice? Should I try to add another asus produto for imesh, or that is just asking for trouble?

My install notes may help.

I suggest using firmware 45717 for now, separate SSIDs, fixed channels as noted, and only define connections for each band on a wireless client that roams beyond 5.0 GHz range (~68 dBm)... and then see how that client behaves.

A WiFi analyzer app can help to roughly assess signal power around your house. Adding a second 86U as an AiMesh node could be a next step to ensure a stronger 5.o GHz signal everywhere you might (reasonably) roam at home... once you go far outside, you may still need the 2.4 GHz connection on your wireless client.

If later you want to return to trying the same SSID for both bands and you have added a second router as an AiMesh node, be sure that router supports Smart Connect node band steering... AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 routers do not, so a second 86U is a good choice.

OE