What's new

Smart Connect + Roaming Assist - do they work together?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fischmanr

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC3100 as my primary router with an RP-AC68U to fill in some gaps on the opposite of the house. The RP is configured in AP mode connected back to the 3100 using an Ethernet run. There is still some spotty 5Ghz coverage in that area, and medium 2.4Ghz radio coverage.

I have Smart Connect configured on the 3100 along with Roaming Assist on both devices. Will these work together, or is it best to turn off Smart Connect and let Roaming Assist handle hand offs between the devices and not worry about band switching since theoretically I've got strong coverage all over the house now with both devices.

Thanks!

I have an RT-AC3100 as my primary router with an RP-AC68U to fill in some gaps on the opposite of the house. The RP is configured in AP mode connected back to the 3100 using an Ethernet run. There is still some spotty 5Ghz coverage in that area, and medium 2.4Ghz radio coverage.

I have Smart Connect configured on the 3100 along with Roaming Assist on both devices. Will these work together, or is it best to turn off Smart Connect and let Roaming Assist handle hand offs between the devices and not worry about band switching since theoretically I've got strong coverage all over the house now with both devices.

Thanks!
Smart Connect is not related to Roaming Assist, Smart Connect work locally on router to control on which device connects 2.4 or 5. However roaming Assists cause router to drop connection when RSSI falls below threshold. By default it is -70

I understand that they have different roles. However, based on the way they work, I'm wondering if its possible that they conflict with each other or if they will work together. Smart Connect also uses RSSI measurements as one of the factors in determining whether or not to move a client from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz or vice versa.

What I'm asking is... Will Smart Connect and Roaming Assist potentially interfere with each other? For example, a client connected to the router gets shifted onto the 2.4Ghz band, and then roams in range of the repeater. Will it stay on 2.4Ghz because that's where the router moved it to, or will it reconnect to the repeater on the 5Ghz channel?

Buddy,

The best way to solve this problem is doing another SSD for the wifi, like:

homewifi
homewifi2

And let the devices get out of the unit with the low signal, this will happen automatically.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!