What's new

Smart Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Can anyone explain in very simple terms, how the Smart Connect feature works? The reason I ask is, my laptop normally resides in a static location, approximately 1/2 metre from my RT-AX88U. Sometimes when I check, I find I am on the 5GHz band and sometimes on the 2.4GHz band. The change can occur while the laptop is in use and not just at bootup. I'm curious to know what might trigger the change from one band to the other in these circumstances. Any ideas?

For some it does work. For others, not so much.

Possibly at this time, the 'Smart Connect' feature is an oxymoron. :)

Btw, 1/2 metre usage from the router is not optimal. At 10' to 12' (about 3 metres) is where the radio waves are fully formed from all available antennae. ;)

I’d suggest you being so close is messing it up.

If you are that close use Ethernet.

If you must use wireless move it further away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, investigate the laptop WiFi settings... you might be able to tame it a bit.

OE

I’d suggest you being so close is messing it up.

If you are that close use Ethernet.

If you must use wireless move it further away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got lots of Ethernet cables of various colours and lengths, so I may have a go at that in the morning.

What particular settings should I be looking at?

See what's available in the WiFi driver such as 'stop searching for available networks' once connected, and 'only connect to 5.0 GHz'.

Or handle it yourself... disable Smart Connect, define separate SSIDs for each band, and only connect your laptop to the desired band/SSID. Next stop would be to wire it.

I did this speed test with a laptop... as I recall, I always got better results on 5.0 GHz, even way off my property. So, you may not need more than one connection per client... may not need Smart Connect node band steering... may not need to fix it if you don't use it. It may be easier to use separate SSIDs and steer a few clients manually by making the desired band/SSID connection manually... manual band steering.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!