What's new

SMB Networking Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

csinvestor

New Around Here
Hi. I am moving offices next week and wanted some suggestions about simplifying my network. I am a relative novice when it comes to networking, so please accept my apologies if my issues are silly.

Here's what I currently have:

1. Win 2K tower server - only provides file and print serving
2. 4 laser printers
3. 10 Dell desktop PC's running Win XP
4. 2 Dell laptops running Vista
5. Cisco ASA 5505 firewall
6. Linksys SRW224G4 data switch
7. Linksys SRW224P voice switch
8. Edgewater Networks 4500T4 voice router
9. Covad DSL (8/1)

We have hosted VOIP (thus the voice switch and router). We also have hosted email. We do not do any web or application service from the Win 2K server, nor do we intend to in the future.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is to find a solution that eliminates the Win2K server since it's slow and cumbersome. However, I need to find a way to ensure that we can continue to serve files and printers. Additionally, it would be nice to be able to gain remote access to shared files, although that is not mandatory.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Most any of today's NASes will replace a server for basic file serving. Print sharing is a bit more of a problem, since the built in USB print servers tend to be basic and don't handle multifunction printers.

NASes that include remote access via web brower include Buffalo, NETGEAR ReadyNAS, Western Digital, Iomega and Seagate.

What are the specs of the server?
Is it running active directory (domain controller function)...or just running in workgroup mode?
What specifically is it serving as far as files/data? Just document storage, or is it serving any apps?

It's Win2K Server running Active Directory. It's only used for print and file serving. It serves up MS Office files. It's pretty basic.

When you say "slow" and cumbersome....what part of its performance are you talking about when saying "slow"?

Is the browsing of network shares slow? Opening up of the files?

What are the hardware specs of the server?

Are the workstations all using the IP address of the server as their one and only DNS server? Not the router, and not the ISPs DNS server....can't do that, gotta be the IP address of your DC.

How is the antivirus software tuned? Exclusions in real time protection for the network shares as far as the clients end?