What's new

SMB/NFS freezing on Asus-Shield configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kofii12345

Occasional Visitor
There is some strange bug on ASUS routers that makes playing movies on Shield Pro 2019 by SMB over wifi freezing (HDD connected to router). I have noticed that on there is similar problem with NFS (movies dont even start when Shield is connected over wifi). I have tested recent Merlin firmware. More info here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac-86u-and-shield-tv-pro-wifi-drops.73171/post-706148
Some people from Kodi forum says that it could be some new smb protocol problem and that it doesn't occur on other router brands.
Are there any chances to Merlin check the problem? I could deliver some logs.

Some people from Kodi forum says that it could be some new smb protocol problem and that it doesn't occur on other router brands.
You'll have to provide specific information about what this alleged problem is before it can be investigated.

Most routers (including Asus IIRC) only provide SMBv1 support. Merlin's firmware adds options for SMBv2 and SMBv1+SMBv2. So there's more things for you to try. Additionally, using Merlin's custom scripts and configs any of the Samba settings can be changed if required.

EDIT: Just seen the response on the NVIDIA forum where they said "It looks like your issue is not related to smb despite the title as it also occurs with nfs and ftp". So not a Samba issue then.

I use RT-AC86U and tried every configurations on router(SMBv1/SMBv2 and others). It is hard to say if that problem should be fixed by Nvidia Shield team or in Asus software but it is strange behaviour that it occurs on some specific devices.
This is problematic for me because I have gifted 2 Shields PRO as SMB players on my family which uses RT-AC86U and there is a problem on both. I use Shield 2017 and there is no problem.

What error messages are being produced on the Shields?

Does the same problem occur if the Shield Pro's are connected by Ethernet instead of WiFi?

Nothing specific in logs in kodi (" ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 103, Software caused connection abort )"). Just "cant played" style in GUI. There are no specific log in asus neither (I used log menu on router page only). It work like a charm using ethernet. Tried 2,4 and 5ghz.

@kofii12345
If you have Protected Management Frames enabled/capable in the router wireless settings, try setting it to disabled.

Last edited:
Is there any chance to fix that with some update?
The consensus in those links is that this is some sort of WiFi incompatibility between the Asus and the Shield Pro 2019. The WiFi driver on Asus routers is a closed source blob supplied by Broadcom so it is not something Merlin can fix.

The consensus in those links is that this is some sort of WiFi incompatibility between the Asus and the Shield Pro 2019. The WiFi driver on Asus routers is a closed source blob supplied by Broadcom so it is not something Merlin can fix.
Unless I’m mistaken, the Shield Pro is still on Android 9 and doesn’t support WPA3.
What is the WPA protocol setting on your ASUS router?

There is some strange bug on ASUS routers that makes playing movies on Shield Pro 2019 by SMB over wifi freezing (HDD connected to router). I have noticed that on there is similar problem with NFS (movies dont even start when Shield is connected over wifi). I have tested recent Merlin firmware. More info here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=348860
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac-86u-and-shield-tv-pro-wifi-drops.73171/post-706148

Use pastebin.com to attach the logs to the forum via a link and be sure you use @ RMerlin (without the space) to alert RMerlin of your input. :)