What's new

SMB2 share connects with macOS and android, but not Windows 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeoBloom

Occasional Visitor
I was recently able to flash my RT-AC66U_B1 to Merlin version 386.1. I set up an OpenVPN server and successfully can connect remotely with my MacBook, my Pixel phone, and my Windows 10 desktop

In my USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk settings, I have the following
  • Enable share: Y
  • Allow guest login: N
  • Max # of concurrent conn: 5
  • Device name: RTAC66UB1
  • Work Group: (same as my Windows 10 workgroup)
  • Samba protocol ver.: SMBv2
  • Simple share naming: N
  • Force as Master Browser: N
  • Set as WINS server: N
I have created a new user in the users below with a simpler password than what I use to log into the router interface. I have marked the new user to R/W permissions for all the folders in my connected 2TB USB HDD

I can connect to the HDD share remotely with both my MacBook as well as Solid Explorer on my Pixel after putting in the login/password. When I try to connect with Windows using the IP address, I get an error attached as an image

What else can I try for Windows to work (if I wish to keep SMB2 and login/password)

Attachments

• smb2 error.PNG
    smb2 error.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 153
You must do what the message says.

Unmap the network folder and re-map it using the new username/password you created.

It was not mapped in Windows previously. I tried playing around with "net use" in cmd but it showed no entries in the list. meanwhile "net view \\IP address" did show the different shares. Restarting the computer didn't make a difference. I elected to enable "allow guest login" since my WiFi is password protected and I don't have any IoT gadgets I don't trust on the network. Allow guest login fixed the issue for the Windows computer access

It should have worked then if you just mapped it with the proper credentials.

Wish it did, but there shouldn't any risk as long as I trust all internet connected devices on my LAN, right?

And it helps a lot if what you're sharing isn't too valuable either. :)

IIRC, the permission scheme used by the router only allows mapping of a drive root directory in Guest mode (I'm surprised it worked on any platform). I bet it will work on windows in non-Guest mode if you try and connect to a specific mapped directory.
I'd also recommend labeling the drive instead of using 'sda1'. If you were to connect another drive, sometimes the sdx references can change.

IIRC, the permission scheme used by the router only allows mapping of a drive root directory in Guest mode (I'm surprised it worked on any platform). I bet it will work on windows in non-Guest mode if you try and connect to a specific mapped directory.
I'd also recommend labeling the drive instead of using 'sda1'. If you were to connect another drive, sometimes the sdx references can change.
It didn't work (see attached). I also tried it on another folder within another drive labeled with my name (instead of sda1) - same issue. Funny thing is the moment I turn on "allow guest login" it works perfectly fine. I also no longer get the original error about "network mapped with another username"

Attachments

• smb2 error 2.PNG
    smb2 error 2.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 111
I just fumbled with Samba myself on 386.1stable.

I still use SMB1 to discover so it was easy for me on Windows... but when mounting on Debian I ran into troubles, used to run root directory with guest browse but couldnt get it working again as I was getting hung up on the share name.

You need at least one folder on the USB drive as a directory folder like John9527 mentioned setup in the Samba tab

Not that I know what it was like before or why it is why it is, but... the share name is tricky

You could run below in SSH to find your usb disk share name under /tmp/mnt/
Code:
df

Or just run
Code:
cat /tmp/etc/smb.conf
Near the bottom the share name is in the [ ] brackets

You can try in Windows exactly as below.
\\192.168.50.1\foldername (at usbstickname)

Hopefully that works...

I personally had to use a smb.postconf script to edit the router samba share name from 'foldershare (at usbstickname)' to 'foldershare' to get it to mount on Debian which was easier than trying to format it for fstab

Last edited:
If (underwater) a connection is established with a different user then the one you want to use, you also get these problems. Add an entry to your hosts file and use that to create multiple connections to the same device with different users.

ea.
net use \\192.168.1.1\share /user:bla1
net use \\aliasone\share /user:bla2

In your hosts file (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS):
192.168.1.1 aliasone

I personally had to use a smb.postconf script to edit the router samba share name from 'foldershare (at usbstickname)' to 'foldershare' to get it to mount on Debian which was easier than trying to format it for fstab
There's no need to use a script, that's what the "Simpler share naming (without the disk name)" option does.

There's no need to use a script, that's what the "Simpler share naming (without the disk name)" option does.
Ha, too easy to get caught up in the franticness of reconfiguring. I've always overlooked that. I ran without issue for years, likely as guest browse with root directory already is a simple name (just the diskname). Its only when 386.1stable and my Debian10 weren't agreeing that I switched to authenticated browsing.

@Maverickcdn that is a perfect example of why I say "Don't 'blindly' put in old settings/scripts that worked 'once upon a time' in a router far, far away." to my customers. :)

@Maverickcdn that is a perfect example of why I say "Don't 'blindly' put in old settings/scripts that worked 'once upon a time' in a router far, far away." to my customers. :)
Ya I should know better by now too. I always try and wing it and configure from memory, I ALWAYS create grief for myself, but if anything it creates learning experiences and I can guarantee Ill never have this issue again.

I just fumbled with Samba myself on 386.1stable.

I still use SMB1 to discover so it was easy for me on Windows... but when mounting on Debian I ran into troubles, used to run root directory with guest browse but couldnt get it working again as I was getting hung up on the share name.

You need at least one folder on the USB drive as a directory folder like John9527 mentioned setup in the Samba tab

Not that I know what it was like before or why it is why it is, but... the share name is tricky

You could run below in SSH to find your usb disk share name under /tmp/mnt/
Code:
df

Or just run
Code:
cat /tmp/etc/smb.conf
Near the bottom the share name is in the [ ] brackets

You can try in Windows exactly as below.
\\192.168.50.1\foldername (at usbstickname)

Hopefully that works...

Ding! Ding! Ding! \\192.168.50.1\foldername (at sda1) was the answer for Windows 10 PC! Thank you so much - this issue is now resolved!