What's new

SMBD no protocol supported error in syslog

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Christopher Manns

New Around Here
Asus RT-AC3100

Aug 8 21:20:34 smbd[7038]: [2019/08/08 21:20:34.518925, 0] smbd/negprot.c:706(reply_negprot)
Aug 8 21:20:34 smbd[7038]: No protocol supported !

Not sure how long this has been showing up in my loges, I just noticed it since I updated to 384.13.
No idea how to resolve it. it's just flooding the logs now. every 12 minutes or so. I do have usb drive plugged int the Router and set up to share, it's accessible and seems to be working fine.
(May 4 22:05:29 usb: USB vfat fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/sda1.)
I just noticed that the date stamp on the USB entry and a bunch of other system entries is May4, this is odd as they are in line with entries dated Aug 6. Might just be an artifact of a reboot of the server?

Any and all help appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks, I missed that thread in my search!
I have too many people using the network to figure out what device is kicking that off.
Kind of bummed that I can't control SMBD versions in the router is using tho.

Was the "Samba protocol version" (USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk) option removed?
Well, Apparently it has not been removed. :confused:
I looked around for a while after the previous message and must have looked right past that 'cause I couldn't find it! Thank you.

I get this message on my router from my sons’ MacBooks, despite following the instructions to disable SMBv1 on OSX.

I get this message on my router from my sons’ MacBooks, despite following the instructions to disable SMBv1 on OSX.

Make sure you use smb:// and not cifs:// .

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!