What's new

SNMP "ifSpeed" reported wrong

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Drake97

New Around Here
Hi! I am using latest Merlin WRT (380.67) on my RT-AC68U and I am trying to monitor the WAN traffic with mrtg and Nagios. The problem is that SNMP reports ifSpeed as only 1250 Kbytes, while the real speed is 1Gbps: "IF-MIB::ifSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 10000000", "IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 10". Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Hi! I am using latest Merlin WRT (380.67) on my RT-AC68U and I am trying to monitor the WAN traffic with mrtg and Nagios. The problem is that SNMP reports ifSpeed as only 1250 Kbytes, while the real speed is 1Gbps: "IF-MIB::ifSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 10000000", "IF-MIB::ifHighSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 10". Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Hi

I have also been looking at using MRTG to track stats of the router (even though the built in stats on the router are miles ahead of what I have managed in MRTG). What I found was that the SNMP exposes the ETH0 and the VLAN1 interfaces, where VLAN1 appears the be local LAN based traffic and ETH0 seems to count All wired ethernet traffic (i.e. WAN and LAN), so for instance if you perform a large download (600MB) over a wired connection, the interface stats show sending and receiving of 600MB of data, or that the in bytes is roughly the same as the out bytes. If you have no wired devices then that counter will work OK.

SNMP reporting the wrong speed does not appear to be an issue with what I have been doing, i just adjust the MaxBytes parameter for the Interface in the mrtg.cfg file.

Hope that helps.

Hi

I have also been looking at using MRTG to track stats of the router (even though the built in stats on the router are miles ahead of what I have managed in MRTG). What I found was that the SNMP exposes the ETH0 and the VLAN1 interfaces, where VLAN1 appears the be local LAN based traffic and ETH0 seems to count All wired ethernet traffic (i.e. WAN and LAN), so for instance if you perform a large download (600MB) over a wired connection, the interface stats show sending and receiving of 600MB of data, or that the in bytes is roughly the same as the out bytes. If you have no wired devices then that counter will work OK.

SNMP reporting the wrong speed does not appear to be an issue with what I have been doing, i just adjust the MaxBytes parameter for the Interface in the mrtg.cfg file.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer! I will stop using mrtg for now, I figured out that it was an unnecessary headache.