What's new

So a bad router (ac87u)? Speeds (not Wifi) fluctuate a bit throughout the day...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andy_d

Regular Contributor
I got Verizon's router to isolate the issue. So far, speeds have been pretty consistent. On the Asus RT-AC87U my speeds vary quite a bit throughout the day. I pay for 100/100 - regardless of online test, I've seen speeds drop down to as low as 1/1 with noticeable difference when trying to browse. It kills my wifi calls as well.

I've never had an issue like this before - safe to assume that it's the router? I was using the latest firmware available for the router and then switched to Merlin in case that would helped - no luck

I got Verizon's router to isolate the issue.
Can you elaborate on this. Are you saying that the ASUS is connected to a Verizon router on your premise? If so, what is the make, model, and so on for the Verizon router.
I pay for 100/100 - regardless of online test
Speed test should consistently be close to what you're paying for. However, unless you have a business circuit the provided speed is best effort based on neighborhood traffic.

Assuming that you have a PC, have you tried connecting the PC directly to the ISP device?

Can you elaborate on this. Are you saying that the ASUS is connected to a Verizon router on your premise? If so, what is the make, model, and so on for the Verizon router.

Speed test should consistently be close to what you're paying for. However, unless you have a business circuit the provided speed is best effort based on neighborhood traffic.

Assuming that you have a PC, have you tried connecting the PC directly to the ISP device?

Sorry to clarify...

1) Asus router connected to Fios ONT and PC connected to Asus router - speeds vary throughout the day and can get noticeably slow. When I do speed checks online (different testers) Ive seen my speed go down to half or worse (1/100 of what I'm supposed to get). This usually lasts for a few minutes

2) since Fios support won't provide support if I'm using my own router,I ordered a rental fios router and replaced the Asus router. In the last three days of using the router, I have not seen this issue. Speeds have been more stable

I realize I won't get what I pay for but I also don't think I should see my speeds drop to 1/1 from 100/100 either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sorry to clarify...

1) Asus router connected to Fios ONT and PC connected to Asus router - speeds vary throughout the day and can get noticeably slow. When I do speed checks online (different testers) Ive seen my speed go down to half or worse (1/100 of what I'm supposed to get). This usually lasts for a few minutes

2) since Fios support won't provide support if I'm using my own router,I ordered a rental fios router and replaced the Asus router. In the last three days of using the router, I have not seen this issue. Speeds have been more stable

I realize I won't get what I pay for but I also don't think I should see my speeds drop to 1/1 from 100/100 either.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Excellent information.

While we know issue occurs with ASUS we don’t know if its the way that the ASUS interacts with Fios ONT, an ASUS configuration issue, or the ASUS itself.

What is really difficult is to understand why you only get the short lived issue intermittently. Suggestions:
  • Use the same Ethernet cable from ONT to either router
  • Compare Fios router configuration to ASUS in detail
  • Minimize/simplify ASUS configuration. Disable as many features as possible, especially IPv6
  • ASUS firmware - If using ASUS firmware switch to Merlin, or visa versa. Use the latest version for each.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!