What's new

So confused!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edenhope

New Around Here
Hello
I have a thoroughbred analysis program I have written in Visual Basic 6. When I first run the program it access many files (jockey names, horse histories. etc.). Then the program constantly accesses many other files as it runs.
All these files I store in a folder called WestAust which is stored on a portable HDD that I connect to whichever computer I am using, sometimes on my laptop, sometimes on my desktop.

When the program first runs it searches for the WestAust folder using FileSystemObject and sets a global drive letter called MainDrive.

I would like this folder to be in an independent place so I can access it from any where I am in my house (so I do not use portable HDD).

I have purchased a Lenovo px2-300d NAS.

Please! how do I configure my Lenovo NAS so my program finds the folder on the network and I can access, change and add new files as the program runs from any computer in my house?

I am running Windows 10

Thank you to any one that helps me.

Steven

Last edited:
I assume you use Windows?
If so, you need to either Map a network drive or Add a network location in File Explorer under This PC.

Thank you for your reply.
I did map the drive and assigned it Z:. But my program can only find drives attached to my computer not network drives.

Steven

But my program can only find drives attached to my computer not network drives.
I think you need to post your question on a site that's more geared towards Visual Basic as your question is specifically related to a VB programming problem rather than a network/NAS issue.

I did map the drive and assigned it Z:. But my program can only find drives attached to my computer not network drives.

Steven

If your machine can access the network location/files, then your VB program should be able to. Check your programming (?).

OE

Steven
I presume you're using SMB/Samba on the NAS to create the shares? Have you made sure to allow access to those shares or at least folders without a username and password?

As some others have pointed out here, it seems to be a programming issue if you've done the above, as all software I use can see my network drives. In fact, most programs think they're a local drive, due to the drive letter. A network location on the other hand doesn't have a drive letter, so some programs can't see those.

Just as an example, this is a simple drive benchmarking software and as you can see, it clearly sees my network shares just as any other drive.

1635593792259.png

A bit older way:

If the search routine can't handle non-local drive mappings, then maybe you should move to a configuration file setup where you access the data directory directly based on the config entry. (Or write a new routine that can handle it)

Searching every drive for a specific data folder doesn't seem terribly efficient IMO, but if it works for you....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!