What's new

So...Do I have to wait for the next firmware again?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
I was waiting for a new firmware. So many users are having lots of issues with a brand new 45149. Wait again?
OMG... What's your problem ASUS?

So....

If you are waiting for the "fixed everything" firmware, I suspect your wait will be long. Not just for Asus, but for any manufacturer of any product that has updatable firmware.

45149 working well here - other than the network list. If I want the network list, I use the app. Not too much of a hardship, and not worthy of a flounce.

I was waiting for a new firmware. So many users are having lots of issues with a brand new 45149. Wait again?
OMG... What's your problem ASUS?

I'm not having any problem with the latest release. What type of issues are you having?

Firmware 45149 works well for the router part and for what the router is intended for: a mix of router, 4-port switch and wireless access point.
I really consider all other shiny features as optional and nice to have, those are usually the ones causing issues.
The next firmware version for sure will fix a few things and break things that have worked for long time, that is the life cycle of firmware.
For those who believe it is a matter of "bad testing by ASUS", I would dare you to develop software and do "good" testing: you will end up by never issue a new firmware release.

For every user reporting an issue, there are typically 10 more who have no issues at all. A lot of people reporting issues also fail to do any real troubleshooting - issues are often within their network rather than with the router itself.

Just flash it, and test for yourself. Every firmware release will always have its share of people reporting "issues".

Firmware 45149 works well for the router part and for what the router is intended for: a mix of router, 4-port switch and wireless access point.
I really consider all other shiny features as optional and nice to have, those are usually the ones causing issues.
The next firmware version for sure will fix a few things and break things that have worked for long time, that is the life cycle of firmware.
For those who believe it is a matter of "bad testing by ASUS", I would dare you to develop software and do "good" testing: you will end up by never issue a new firmware release.
I don't think a bad testing is a problem. I think the problem is developers. I don't expect a perfect firmware. Every single software can have bugs. But ASUS creates issues every time they release a new firmware. Why don't they call it Beta? There will not be any problem if ASUS calls their firmware is a Beta.

For every user reporting an issue, there are typically 10 more who have no issues at all. A lot of people reporting issues also fail to do any real troubleshooting - issues are often within their network rather than with the router itself.

Just flash it, and test for yourself. Every firmware release will always have its share of people reporting "issues".

Flashing is fine. For me? I have to recreate all of own settings such as block lists, static devices and more. It kills me. Someone who is using only basic features is just fine with any firmware though. They just plug or connect devices to the router. The internet works. They can connect on internet. Their WiFi works for surfing the web or mobile games. And then they say it works like a charm.

Flashing is fine. For me? I have to recreate all of own settings such as block lists, static devices and more. It kills me.

Firmware upgrades do not affect existing settings. There is no need to reconfigure after an upgrade.

Someone who is using only basic features is just fine with any firmware though.

Wrong. Routers are security devices, they are the first (and often last) line of defense between the open Internet and your LAN. Security issues are discovered and fixed all the times by these upgrades. Failing to keeping up to date means you are at risk of having your router compromised, potentially turning it into a zombie remotely controlled by a malicious entity who can then use it (along with hundred of thousands of infected devices) to launch attacks on websites.

In short: users and manufacturers) failing to keep their routers (and other connected devices) up-to-date are part of the problem. Compromised devices are used to launch DDoS attacks on servers, or to spread their malware to other unsecure devices. Just two of the most recent examples:

https://badpackets.net/200000-mikro...-compromised-to-inject-cryptojacking-malware/
https://blogs.akamai.com/sitr/2018/11/upnproxy-eternalsilence.html

All of these devices wouldn't be compromised if they were running up-to-date firmware.

Firmware upgrades do not affect existing settings. There is no need to reconfigure after an upgrade.

I know it doesn't affect existing settings. But sometimes we have to clear NVRAM. NVRAM clear deletes everything.

Wrong. Routers are security devices, they are the first (and often last) line of defense between the open Internet and your LAN. Security issues are discovered and fixed all the times by these upgrades. Failing to keeping up to date means you are at risk of having your router compromised, potentially turning it into a zombie remotely controlled by a malicious entity who can then use it (along with hundred of thousands of infected devices) to launch attacks on websites.

In short: users and manufacturers) failing to keep their routers (and other connected devices) up-to-date are part of the problem. Compromised devices are used to launch DDoS attacks on servers, or to spread their malware to other unsecure devices. Just two of the most recent examples:

https://badpackets.net/200000-mikro...-compromised-to-inject-cryptojacking-malware/

What are you talking about? I know about it very well than you think. I was not talking about it. I meant those basic users only care about their internet connection status. That's why they rollback or stay with old firmwares. I see a lot of users here in snbforum are still using so old firmwares. And some of users recommend old firmwares for the stability. That was what I meant.
All of these devices wouldn't be compromised if they were running up-to-date firmware.
I don't think so. Up-to-date firmware can't prevent hacking 100%. It helps but not 100%.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Up-to-date firmware can't prevent hacking 100%. It helps but not 100%.

The specific security issues exploited in those 100,000's of devices mentioned in the two articles I linked are fixed in more up to date firmwares. That's a few hundred thousand fewer infected devices that would be out there if their firmware had been kept up-to-date.

Telling people to avoid upgrading if "everything works fine" or "my needs are simple" is just bad advice from a security point of view.

Telling people to avoid upgrading if "everything works fine" or "my needs are simple" is just bad advice from a security point of view.

I wrote the post regarding the MikroTik routers and we've seen 600,000+ compromised MikroTik routers worldwide since July. The problem was exacerbated due to two reasons:
  • The Winbox management port (8291/tcp) was exposed to internet.
  • The RouterOS (firmware) was not updated after a highly-critical vulnerability (CVE-2018-14847) was published.

agreed that's why i;m nervous wiyh 6 month old FW on my 3200's

I know it doesn't affect existing settings. But sometimes we have to clear NVRAM. NVRAM clear deletes everything.
Hi Follower,

I have a habit of doing Factory reset for my AiMesh Router / Nodes for each new Firmware Upgrade. Amongst other things I have 40 device IPs to manually set for my DHCP. It is very time consuming and boring to do by hand each time. I am lazy and this is how I do it in a post about 6 months ago:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...le-3-0-0-4-384_20648.46476/page-2#post-404706

If you search this forum, there are a couple of ways to save and restore selected NVRAM settings.

Hi Follower,

I have a habit of doing Factory reset for my AiMesh Router / Nodes for each new Firmware Upgrade. Amongst other things I have 40 device IPs to manually set for my DHCP. It is very time consuming and boring to do by hand each time. I am lazy and this is how I do it in a post about 6 months ago:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...le-3-0-0-4-384_20648.46476/page-2#post-404706

If you search this forum, there are a couple of ways to save and restore selected NVRAM settings.

Hi Lim!
lol
You have a same habit like me! I've tried some scripts. But it didn't work that good enough. I also used to play with some tools such as Putty or winSCP for it. After then I do it manually...It kills me though.

Hi Lim!
lol
You have a same habit like me! I've tried some scripts. But it didn't work that good enough. I also used to play with some tools such as Putty or winSCP for it. After then I do it manually...It kills me though.
Follower,

I found that to complete the the picture to successfully save and restore the DHCP list, you really need to save and restore both the NVRAM settings :):
  • dhcp_staticlist (this list associates MAC Address to IP Address) and
  • custom_clientlist (this list associates MAC Address to Client Name)
If you search this forum there are a number of similar posts, see a few of the posts in this thread. You don't have to manually rekey in each time as it is a pain to do it manually (I have 40), and likely you can also introduce finger errors, hope it helps:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!