What's new

so i've been running on this for a week some thoughts.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CodeCypherP

New Around Here
so far I love it! but a few questions

1) i was told not to touch lldp too much... i get that but is there a way to enable Cisco CDP safely?
2) can i set my own vlans ( i get the source has vlans 501,502 ) I would rather configure my own?
3) Norhtbound i have 3560-cg (a compact L3 ) 10 x 1 gig switch.... which i can do vlan routing on can i re-assign 501 and 502 something else?
4)

1) Maybe this:
Code:
service stop_amas_lldpd
sed -i 's/^lldpd -L/lldpd -c -L/' /tmp/run_lldpd.sh
sh /tmp/run_lldpd.sh

2) Asuswrt doesn't support user defined vlans. You can "hack it" from the command line. Search the forum for posts about vlanctl.

3) VLANS 501 and 502 are used by the router to support guest WiFi networks.

Last edited:
so yes i found a work around basically the swtichport southbound needs this config (for Cisco devices)

interface GigabitEthernet0/10
description uplink asus
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q <<---- NOTE has to be set to dot1q (otherwise it assumes ISL)
switchport trunk native vlan 10 <---- in my case the default route (lan interface for ASUS default) is on vlan 10
switchport mode trunk

@colin keep me honest but i think now if i tag vlan 501 and 502 it will now put any device into those respective IP subnets.

I have a roomie and she likes to keep her stuff segmented from mine and from the IOT stuff. Hence why i was looking at this i do notice the default is only the first 2 WLAN (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ) respectively gets assigned 192.168.101 and 192.168.103.y but i also further notice the onboards also have both a native interface as well as subif tagged devices (assuming one sets a vlan tag in the OS one can use those vlans 501,502 as well.

so yes i found a work around basically the swtichport southbound needs this config (for Cisco devices)

interface GigabitEthernet0/10
description uplink asus
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q <<---- NOTE has to be set to dot1q (otherwise it assumes ISL)
switchport trunk native vlan 10 <---- in my case the default route (lan interface for ASUS default) is on vlan 10
switchport mode trunk

@colin keep me honest but i think now if i tag vlan 501 and 502 it will now put any device into those respective IP subnets.

I have a roomie and she likes to keep her stuff segmented from mine and from the IOT stuff. Hence why i was looking at this i do notice the default is only the first 2 WLAN (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ) respectively gets assigned 192.168.101 and 192.168.103.y but i also further notice the onboards also have both a native interface as well as subif tagged devices (assuming one sets a vlan tag in the OS one can use those vlans 501,502 as well.
i confirmed it works. I picked up a old 3860-cg and 2960G switches for lan networking since my apartment is wired but they didnt set it up for connected ports so i just made it connected. :) for what its worth though the firestick dongle for ethernet kinda sucks it only does 10/100 and im only getting about 68 mb/s out of Analiti (free wifi / ethernet testing app for FireStick it also does speed test from AP to stick and STick to internet has a nice graphical interface for wifi channel surveying.

I thought Cisco CDP was proprietary to Cisco? I have used it a lot in the past on Cisco equipment. I thought LLDP was the generic version. Cisco now has both. I tend to still use CDP as I am old.

I thought Cisco CDP was proprietary to Cisco? I have used it a lot in the past on Cisco equipment. I thought LLDP was the generic version. Cisco now has both. I tend to still use CDP as I am old.
thats correct it is specific to Cisco but LLDP does not show up on these older switches they are IOS based not IOS-XE I too know Cisco well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!