What's new

so many models of AX router...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dick_W

Occasional Visitor
Is there some sensible reason ASUS offers, not counting color choice, 12 different models of AX router? (And this is without the 6E product which isn't yet in the ASUS US product finder.) Maybe it's just me, but this seems like a crazy number of designs to maintain, produce, support, and keep firmware current for.

I'm pondering when/what to replace my RT-AC68U. I'm leaning toward the RT-AX86U; but who can know if that's the best choice when there are so many models with minor differentiation from model to model. Best to me doesn't need to include any gaming specific features, but it does want to be a very stable product that will receive the best-of-class firmware support over time. I'd also like more choices for VPN server support--something the iOS devices could natively use besides OpenVPN. Secure DNS support would be great, but it seems ASUS still doesn't support this on anything. I'd just skip all this confusion and buy a Synology if only they had a WiFi 6 product.

So, putting aside all of the other ASUS choices, is the RT-AX86U a (one of the) best ASUS replacement(s) for the RT-AC68U? (On my AC68, I use the TrendMicro stuff, 3x 802.3 ports, VPN server, and USB via SMB file share. I have an RP-AC55 to extend into a marginal coverage space but have never found it to solve more problems than it causes--in either extender or mesh mode--so it is turned off pending some firmware update that makes it work better. Counting wired and wireless devices we have 30+ networked devices in the 2,700 ft2 one level house. Unfortunately, for purposes of WiFi coverage, there is a CMU wall that divides one part of the house from another, and CMU walls between the carport/lanai and the main house where the router wants to live.)

Is there some sensible reason ASUS offers, not counting color choice, 12 different models of AX router?
Product space saturation at different price points is a normal marketing strategy. It allows the company more options when distributing it's wholesale products to retailers.

It doesn't always benefit the consumer. Do your own research as you have done and choose the model that fits your needs and price point.

So, putting aside all of the other ASUS choices, is the RT-AX86U a (one of the) best ASUS replacement(s) for the RT-AC68U?
Yes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!