What's new

So what is the point of Aggressive DHCP query frequency?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grievous Angel

Regular Contributor
I turned mine to normal. Seems to get a lease from my ISP for 8 hours, and renews with 4 hours to go.

I did this specifically because supposedly some ISPs have blocked/banned people because their routers do this too often. I'm with Charter and they were one of the ISPs mentioned.

What's the point of the "aggressive" setting? I don't think I'm missing out on anything--what's the point of doing it more often than "normal?"

A "FAQ" on some of these settings would be great--I google them but then it turns out it's mostly references back to our routers without specifically talking about what some of these are for. I'm hardly the authority or else I might try to start one.

I turned mine to normal. Seems to get a lease from my ISP for 8 hours, and renews with 4 hours to go.

I did this specifically because supposedly some ISPs have blocked/banned people because their routers do this too often. I'm with Charter and they were one of the ISPs mentioned.

What's the point of the "aggressive" setting? I don't think I'm missing out on anything--what's the point of doing it more often than "normal?"

A "FAQ" on some of these settings would be great--I google them but then it turns out it's mostly references back to our routers without specifically talking about what some of these are for. I'm hardly the authority or else I might try to start one.

This determines how aggressive the router will be in asking for a lease - it has nothing to do with the duration.

That setting was added because Charter would blacklist routers sending them too many DHCP requests in a short period of time. Their modem tends to take longer than the router to get fully up, so on a reboot, the router would end up sending DHCP requests before the modem was ready, which led to customers getting blacklisted by Charter, forcing them to turn off modem and router for 5-10 mins to fix things.

In aggressive mode, the router will work the same way it used to work before.

In Normal mode, it will wait up to 3 minutes before re-sending DHCP requests if the first one didn't get answered, to avoid blacklisting. So it might take longer to obtain a lease if you just rebooted modem or router.

For most people, Aggressive is fine. For Charter users (and other ISPs that are more aggressive), set it to Normal.

So it has to do with how often it will try to obtain a lease in the even of NOT being able to obtain a lease--as during modem startup.

It has nothing to do with how often a lease is requested, or the length of the lease.

I'm with Charter so I'll leave it to normal.

If the "aggressive" setting is "normal", wouldn't it be better to rename (and invert) the selection? Call it "Relaxed DHCP query frequency"?

I think that normally, when turing off a setting, people will assume that "if it is not aggressive it is normal".

If the "aggressive" setting is "normal", wouldn't it be better to rename (and invert) the selection? Call it "Relaxed DHCP query frequency"?

I think that normally, when turing off a setting, people will assume that "if it is not aggressive it is normal".

Don't ask me, I didn't name it. :) When I implemented that feature in my own firmware, I had made it always use the Normal timing.

Might be because Asus recommends people to use Normal by default, as it is the most compatible setting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!