What's new

Software compiling guidance forum

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dosborne

Very Senior Member
I don't suppose there is one already that I've missed....

I've been a programmer for about 40 years now so know my way around the basics and have compiled on various hardware and software platforms but I am looking for information to be able to compile on the router directly.

A guide or info on how to get started would be great. This may seem trivial to many, but as I assume this means using entware, this is a new area for me as I've always had a more capable system (PC, Linux server, raspberry Pi, NAS,...) to work with. I'm pretty sure installing debian (pretty sure I saw instructions for that posted) would get me were I want to go as well since I'vee compiled on the RPi already, but it seems like overkill.

The short version is I'd like to compile a C program written for a D-Link NAS (arm). It doesn't use many libraries and they should be available, they just became outdated for the NAS environment I was using and no updates were available. The program parses torrent RSS feeds and passes the torrent info (if matched) to a transmission server running on a different NAS. I was able to port it to a aspberry Pi and correctly compile it there, but I'm a complete virgin at how to compile on one platform and run on another. Either solution, setting up a compiler environment on the router, or figuring out how to compile cross-platform would be fine with me. Target router RT-AX88U and possibly RT-AC68U.

Pointers? Thoughts? Rude remarks on my virgin-ness?

Something like this [http://www.shadowandy.net/2008/08/adding-compiling-capabilities-to-your-dns-323.htm] would be great, as that is what I used for the NAS.

This is the program i'd like to compile [https://github.com/1100101/Automatic] although I have a few code tweaks of my own.

Thanks

p.s. if someone already has a working environment capable of compiling the above linked utility, I'd be happy to send them my mods. :) :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!