What's new

Sold a Airport Express and trying to help fellow buyer setting it up with Comcast, but need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NesTx88

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

Recently sold someone a apple airport express, and they are telling me they cannot for the world of them get it working. I'm trying to avoid the return process if I can assist them getting it to work.

The goal is to use it with the comcast modem (might be a that combo modem/router I'm assuming) so they can play their music, thats all I was I told.

Anyways, as far as what has been done, they reset the express first, then tried setting it up with their ipad, then they tried setting it up on their macbook. The issue they are having is when they are trying to set it up, and get an "unexpected error".

Wondering if anyone can pinpoint the issue, how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

did you or the buyer do a factory reset on the AirPort Express? there is a recessed reset switch on the back of all Apple AirPort devices.

If the COMCAST device is in fact a gateway then the Airport Express is probably operating in a double NAT configuration. The Comcast device needs to be either set in a bridge node or the Airport Express needs to be correctly double NATed. Being in a double NAT isn't an issue other than people forever telling you that double NAT = BAD and is the cause of all your network issues.

If the COMCAST device is in fact a gateway then the Airport Express is probably operating in a double NAT configuration. The Comcast device needs to be either set in a bridge node or the Airport Express needs to be correctly double NATed. Being in a double NAT isn't an issue other than people forever telling you that double NAT = BAD and is the cause of all your network issues.
I see. Do you think the best way to run it is use the express as a bridge to further extend the signal, and how would one do this? Thanks.

Last edited:
If you don't want to be double NATed then you have to first determine if the buyer's is connecting to a modem or a gateway. If it is a gateway you need to log into the device and put it into the bridge mode which basically means it won't be providing NAT and this function will be passed onto the AirPort and the airport will fully function as a router.

You should make the buyer aware that regardless of what hardware he hooks behind his Comcast provided device this is what they will have to do if the Comcast device is a gateway (combination modem/router). If the buyer has phone service from Comcast then the options become more complex and unless he paid you a lot for the AirPort you just might want to bow out.

Also if the Airport is put into the bridge mode that won't extend the WiFi. If on the other hand it is connected to the Comcast device by an Ethernet cable and the Airport is setup as an AP it will extend the WiFi. If the buyer sets the AirPort up as an extender the best they can expect is approximately half the speed they get from Comcast. None of these option will result in a double NAT.

If you don't want to be double NATed then you have to first determine if the buyer's is connecting to a modem or a gateway. If it is a gateway you need to log into the device and put it into the bridge mode which basically means it won't be providing NAT and this function will be passed onto the AirPort and the airport will fully function as a router.

You should make the buyer aware that regardless of what hardware he hooks behind his Comcast provided device this is what they will have to do if the Comcast device is a gateway (combination modem/router). If the buyer has phone service from Comcast then the options become more complex and unless he paid you a lot for the AirPort you just might want to bow out.

Also if the Airport is put into the bridge mode that won't extend the WiFi. If on the other hand it is connected to the Comcast device by an Ethernet cable and the Airport is setup as an AP it will extend the WiFi. If the buyer sets the AirPort up as an extender the best they can expect is approximately half the speed they get from Comcast. None of these option will result in a double NAT.
I’m going to assume he is using a gateway since most people are using a gateway/modem and leasing it.

So he has to login to his Comcast gateway and put it into bridge mode, then follow the setup as usual for the express?

Then he could use his other express as a ap/extender to cover the wifi?

Also, since we are hundred of miles apart, I could use team viewer to assist them with this. He also told me he bought another express from someone else so I’m guessing he is trying to cover his home in WiFi with these.

Last edited:
the AirPort Utility can be used to configure the AirPort Express for "Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)" which configures the AirPort as an access point instead of a router, to extend your wireless network. NAT and DHCP are done by the ISP router.

first, download AirPort Utility from the App Store (macOS or iOS), then connect the AirPort's WAN port to any LAN port on the ISP modem/router and hard-reset the AirPort. launch AirPort Utility and wait a few minutes for the Utility to discover the AirPort Express. you may have to manually select it from the 'Other Wi-Fi Devices' drop-down list in the AirPort Utility; and also delete / forget any old-deprecated devices that may be in the list.

and yes, the same network name (SSID) and wifi password can be used as your existing wifi SSID, thus extending wifi coverage.

Airport Utility - Router Mode - Bridge.png

Airport Utility - Extend Wireless Network.png

the AirPort Utility can be used to configure the AirPort Express for "Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)" which configures the AirPort as an access point instead of a router, to extend your wireless network. NAT and DHCP are done by the ISP router.

first, download AirPort Utility from the App Store (macOS or iOS), then connect the AirPort's WAN port to any LAN port on the ISP modem/router and hard-reset the AirPort. launch AirPort Utility and wait a few minutes for the Utility to discover the AirPort Express. you may have to manually select it from the 'Other Wi-Fi Devices' drop-down list in the AirPort Utility; and also delete / forget any old-deprecated devices that may be in the list.

and yes, the same network name (SSID) and wifi password can be used as your existing wifi SSID, thus extending wifi coverage.

View attachment 30459
View attachment 30460
I see. So the first step is to put his gateway/modem into bridge mode?

Then download the airport utility. And set the first express as a router, then follow the steps above and setup the second as a ap?

Or am I missing a step? Thanks.

I see. So the first step is to put his gateway/modem into bridge mode?

Then download the airport utility. And set the first express as a router, then follow the steps above and setup the second as a ap?

Or am I missing a step? Thanks.
no you have it backwards. i said put the AirPort Express in Bridge mode and connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the ISP modem/router and go from there.

no you have it backwards. i said put the AirPort Express in Bridge mode and connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the ISP modem/router and go from there.
Ok so that will extend its signal. What if he wants to do it wirelessly? Or at least have the 2nd one done wireless without plugging it in?

I’m just trying to see what the big picture. So by doing this, the gateway/modem will still act as a router, and the first express with be connected to it as a extender, then the next express can be connected wirelessly as a second extender?

Last edited:
my apologies, i gave you wrong information about how to use the AirPort to extend your existing wireless network. Instead of Extend a wireless network, select 'Create a wireless network' from the Wireless tab in the AirPort Utility, then enter your existing wifi SSID and password (same SSID/password as the ISP router). Then press Wireless Options button in the AirPort Utility to configure the SSID for the 5GHz band. always use the same SSID and password on all access points IF you want clients to roam between them as they move around within the coverage area. yes, client devices will roam just fine between APs, even when not setup as a mesh network.

what i got wrong: with Apple AirPorts, Extend a wireless network, only works with other AirPorts.

AirPort Utility - Create Wireless Network.png

AirPort Utility - Wireless Options.png

my apologies, i gave you wrong information about how to use the AirPort to extend your existing wireless network. Instead of Extend a wireless network, select 'Create a wireless network' from the Wireless tab in the AirPort Utility, then enter your existing wifi SSID and password (same SSID/password as the ISP router). Then press Wireless Options button in the AirPort Utility to configure the SSID for the 5GHz band. always use the same SSID and password on all access points IF you want clients to roam between them as they move around within the coverage area. yes, client devices will roam just fine between APs, even when not setup as a mesh network.

what i got wrong: with Apple AirPorts, Extend a wireless network, only works with other AirPorts.

View attachment 30461
View attachment 30462
Oh ok so let me see if I have it right?

I do not have to do anything with the comcast router/gateway (that is what they have I found out).

But they need to download the latest Airport Utility from the app store. Also, its best to just reset both express before beginning?

After that, would I have to plug in at least one express, or could I do the setup wirelessly?

Also, I would Create a wireless network for the 1st express, and what about the 2nd?

Ok so that will extend its signal. What if he wants to do it wirelessly? Or at least have the 2nd one done wireless without plugging it in?
to extend it wirelessly you select Extend a wireless network and then enter the SSID and password of the existing wifi network that you're extending, BUT this option only works with other AirPorts.

use the Create a wireless network option instead and connect AirPort to ISP modem/router via wired ethernet, that's the only way it can be done with the AirPort, if you're not using other AirPorts.
I’m just trying to see what the big picture. So by doing this, the gateway/modem will still act as a router, and the first express with be connected to it as a extender, then the next express can be connected wirelessly as a second extender?
yes, the ISP modem/router will still be the gateway, nat and dhcp server. the AirPort express will become a wireless access point on the same network. the airport will be automatically assigned an IP by your modem/router.

Oh ok so let me see if I have it right?

I do not have to do anything with the comcast router/gateway (that is what they have I found out).
correct
But they need to download the latest Airport Utility from the app store. Also, its best to just reset both express before beginning?
correct
After that, would I have to plug in at least one express, or could I do the setup wirelessly?
it should be discoverable either way, but i recommend connecting the AirPort (WAN port) to a LAN port on the Comcast router so that the AirPort will get an IP address after powering up, and become discoverable on your network, at which point you can use AirPort Utility to configure the Express. the iOS or macOS device running AirPort Utility must also be connected to the same network in order to discover the AirPort Express.
Also, I would Create a wireless network for the 1st express, and what about the 2nd?
oh i didn't realize there were two AirPorts. you could Create a wireless network with the first AirPort (wired to ISP router) and then Extend a wireless network with the second AirPort (connected wireless to the first AirPort), but you'd have to use a different SSID than the existing one being used on the ISP router, which is fine, you'll end up with two wifi networks at that point. i don't like that configuration myself, i prefer ONE network name (SSID) and password on all access points, and simply allow client devices to roam as they please.

to extend it wirelessly you select Extend a wireless network and then enter the SSID and password of the existing wifi network that you're extending, BUT this option only works with other AirPorts.

use the Create a wireless network option instead and connect AirPort to ISP modem/router via wired ethernet, that's the only way it can be done with the AirPort, if you're not using other AirPorts.

yes, the ISP modem/router will still be the gateway, nat and dhcp server. the AirPort express will become a wireless access point on the same network. the airport will be automatically assigned an IP by your modem/router.
Ok so he has 2 expresses, and 1 gateway/modem. His goal is to extend it throughout his home so it can connect to his audio equipment which he can play his music.

So in this case, the 2 expresses should act as a ap?

correct

correct

it should be discoverable either way, but i recommend connecting the AirPort (WAN port) to a LAN port on the Comcast router so that the AirPort will get an IP address after powering up, and become discoverable on your network, at which point you can use AirPort Utility to configure the Express. the iOS or macOS device running AirPort Utility must also be connected to the same network in order to discover the AirPort Express.

oh i didn't realize there were two AirPorts. you could Create a wireless network with the first AirPort (wired to ISP router) and then Extend a wireless network with the second AirPort (connected wireless to the first AirPort), but you'd have to use a different SSID than the existing one being used on the ISP router, which is fine, you'll end up with two wifi networks at that point. i don't like that configuration myself, i prefer ONE network name (SSID) and password on all access points, and simply allow client devices to roam as they please.
Is it possible to get 1 network and password on all aps with this setup?

Ok so he has 2 expresses, and 1 gateway/modem. His goal is to extend it throughout his home so it can connect to his audio equipment which he can play his music.

So in this case, the 2 expresses should act as a ap?
yes, that is how i've setup my AirPort Time Capsule, as an AP, using the same SSID/Password as all of the other access points. then your client devices will connect to whichever AP is closest and providing the best signal. connect both AirPorts WAN ports to LAN ports on the Comcast router and Create a wireless network on each AirPort Express with the same SSID/password as the rest of your network.

Is it possible to get 1 network and password on all aps with this setup?
not sure what you mean by 'apps' but yeah, as i've said ad nauseam, use the same SSID and password on all APs and connect everything up via wired ethernet and you should be good to go.

yes, that is how i've setup my AirPort Time Capsule, as an AP, using the same SSID/Password as all of the other access points. then your client devices will connect to whichever AP is closest and providing the best signal. connect both AirPorts WAN ports to LAN ports on the Comcast router and Create a wireless network on each AirPort Express with the same SSID/password as the rest of your network.

not sure what you mean by 'apps' but yeah, as i've said ad nauseam, use the same SSID and password on all APs and connect everything up via wired ethernet and you should be good to go.
Sorry I meant access points all using the same SSID. There is no way he can do this wirelessly? They all have to be setup via an ethernet to the comcast router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!