What's new

Sold two RT-AX92Us and both buyers have complained they can't get it to work in a mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dorlow

New Around Here
So, I bought two RT-AX92U routers off of Amazon as a package. They came together. I didn't think they were designed only to work with the other one in the packaging. I sold them separately on ebay. They both went to different buyers. But, one of the buyers complained a few weeks ago that he can't get his to connect to his mesh. I marked on the ebay ad no returns. Well, ebay stepped in and gave him his money back. So, I have possession of that router now. I'm actually using it again and works fine but I'm only using one. Now I have the second person emailing me stating he can't get that one to join to his mesh. They both worked perfect when I had them. Ebay is probably going to step in and force me to refund him too.

Last edited:
Those buyers may not realize that they need to totally reset a node so that the router can find it. And I also found at one point that I needed to reset the router to get it to find the reset node. Once both were reset, router and node, things worked as they should. Patience furthers...

Interesting that despite your "no returns" that eBay stepped in and acted. Did you have to refund to eBay, or did they just send it to you? I have been impressed in the past at the degree that eBay stands behind transactions.

The routers are perhaps fine. Asus advertises any router with AiMesh support can be used in any combination. Well, not exactly. At least not without some fight and tricks. Issues start when folks try to use mixed routers from different generations and different Wi-Fi standards. Don't expect your buyers to be very tech savvy. If it doesn't work the way it was described by Asus, you'll get the complaints.

RogerSC is correct. You need to reset the routers or they won't connect.

Sometimes it may occasionally fail and you'll have to do it again.

The routers aren't faulty, it's just the initial connection phase is a bit temperamental. Hopefully asus will rectify this with future firmware updates. It depends on if people report it to them.

One thing they do state is that they have to be around 2 meters apart. I'm not sure why that is, maybe they use some kind of ultrasound to initially communicate? I can't think of any other reason why they have to be 2 meters apart.

RogerSC is correct. You need to reset the routers or they won't connect.

Sometimes it may occasionally fail and you'll have to do it again.

The routers aren't faulty, it's just the initial connection phase is a bit temperamental. Hopefully asus will rectify this with future firmware updates. It depends on if people report it to them.

One thing they do state is that they have to be around 2 meters apart. I'm not sure why that is, maybe they use some kind of ultrasound to initially communicate? I can't think of any other reason why they have to be 2 meters apart.

I've found that I can factory reset my mesh and leave the node at its normal 40ft. away from the router, and it will be found by the router when re-setting up the mesh. When I originally set these up, followed the directions, couple of feet apart. Since then, I've left the nodes in situ (as it were *smile*), no problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!