What's new

Solid fast router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salt101

New Around Here
Hi there,

I'm currently sitting behind a BT HomeHub 2.0 router/gateway (I'm in the UK) which isn't too bad, but provides limited configuration options for what I want (and not much for me to tinker with!!).

What I need from the router/gateway:
-The standard solid support most offer for a reasonable number of simultaneous connections and ADSL2+
-Support for dyndns
-Considerable "more advanced" port forwarding options
-Support for an FTP server to and from the internet (have one in the LAN)
-Support for a slingbox (similar request as the above)

Things I'd like:
-A decent QoS
-Potentially wireless n but not really important

Essentially what I'm really looking for is a solid fast router that doesn't drop a connection that has a readily configurable firewall and is good at port forwarding (games) and happy with FTP servers. And also has lots of options for me to tinker with :D.

My budget is probably around £80-£90 ($130-$145) and wireless isn't required. It seems that most manufacturers don't sell specific wired consumer performance routers so I was considering getting a used business classed router off ebay.

Although will Untangle fit all my above needs? I have an old quite high spec (in its day) computer that's no longer used (3.06GHz)...would that be suitable? Its just the power it would use (and constant fan and possible reliability issues) that would annoy me...although the extra security would be beneficial. Have people heard reliable good stories about untangle?

Also, slightly differently, would the new Netgear WNDR3700 wireless N router do all the above as that's a serious option I might consider. Is there going to be another wireless N router popping up soon that's worth waiting for (I know this question should probably be in the wireless section!!) or is getting the Netgear a good option?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers.