What's new

Solid Upgrade for Netgear Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

denpa

New Around Here
I am looking to upgrade my Netgear WNDR4500v1 (9 years of service; top of the line then). It turned out to be pretty decent except for firmware corruption about once a year that requires manual upload through Ethernet.

EDIT: Making it simpler, looking for:
  • Solid 2.4Ghz performance (crowded condo area with 50+ APs)
  • Also, solid 5GHz
  • VPN server
  • Price: $200-300, can go more if justified by features/performance.
  • Recent model (any brand) with reasonable anticipated future proofing and stability.

Last edited:
With cars, the answer is always a Miata. To answer your question, I have the RT-AX86U, it's 250 if you can find it, and it seems to be the current darling of this forum. I've had no issues with mine. Fast, good coverage, stable.

With cars, the answer is always a Miata. To answer your question, I have the RT-AX86U, it's 250 if you can find it, and it seems to be the current darling of this forum. I've had no issues with mine. Fast, good coverage, stable.
Thanks, I did get the RT-AX86U (I was able to find it at a local Best Buy in stock last weekend) and I loaded Merlin as well. Very pleased so far and impressed with the software. Everything works smoothly and I experience less latency in browsing and apps.

The only thing that baffles me with ASUS is the DHCP limit for manually assigned IPs. It is not a problem for my usage, just weird to have that limit. If it ever becomes an issue, I can use the feature expansion add-on that is available.