What's new

Solution for weatherproofing outdoor keystone plates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachBum

Regular Contributor
So I have a couple of Cat6 runs that terminate outside, for being able to have a TV on the patio for the big game party and such...

I am having trouble finding a elegant solution to weatherproof these plates when not in use. Here is a pic of one of them:

siding1.jpg

Since the boxes fell in-between a lap in the siding the framers built a flat box/plate for fixtures to mount on. They did this for all outlets/boxes/lights etc around the house. This particular one is unfinished/unpainted at this point. I have all the plates off/unscrewed.

I'm trying to find some sort of way to have a cover over the keystone & coax boxes to keep them weatherproof. I'm using these on all the outdoor power sockets:

51YLg36NxKL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I tried fitting a Decora keystone plate behind it, and although it fits the opening fine it won't mount flat and water seal against the siding frame.

So far only other thing I have found is this from Leviton but haven't tried it yet:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=4998-W&section=42938&minisite=10251

Anyone know of a solution I can use for this?

So I have a couple of Cat6 runs that terminate outside, for being able to have a TV on the patio for the big game party and such...

I am having trouble finding a elegant solution to weatherproof these plates when not in use. Here is a pic of one of them:

Check with your wiring guy - there's a few solutions...

Thanks. Already have one of those from Leviton on the way. We'll see how it works..

Incase anyone is interested, here is what I ended up with:

Cover1.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!