What's new

Solutions to multiple issues with SSL certificates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaklan

New Around Here
Model: RT-AC86U
Firmware Version: 386.1_beta2

Hi all, I was recently playing with SSL certificates on my router and discover a few things which imho can be helpful to solve problems with SSL certificates. Probably everything below was already mentioned somewhere on the forum, but when I was looking for solutions to my problems I had to read multiple threads and look for individual helpful comments, so I thought putting all of that into one place can be a good idea. Originally I posted these notes on the Asuswrt-Merlin's GitHub.

Generating a new self-signed cert
In WAN - DDNS menu, If you select HTTPS/SSL Certificate as None and Generate a new certificate as Yes then after applying - nothing changes, you still get the old certificate. The reason is /jffs/cert.tgz archive file, which stores 2 files within etc folder: cert.pem and key.pem. If the file exists, then new cert is not generated.

Solution? Ssh into your router and run rm /jffs/cert.tgz before generating a new cert. Now, when applying the above, a new /jffs/cert.tgz file would be created and cert files in /tmp/etc - successfuly replaced.

@RMerlin: my opinion - removing the old file should be just done under-the-hood.

Importing your own cert
In WAN - DDNS menu, If you select Import Your Own Certificate then after uploading files and applying - it works (even if you get No certificate found status). What is interesting here - the uploaded files are stored in /jffs/.cert/ directory, but /jffs/cert.tgz is not modified - it still stores the old cert files. I expected it can be a problem after reboot, but... it isn't, the cert moved to /tmp/etc/ is still the new one. Tbh that's quite surprising to me, I need to investigate it more, but well - the most important part is "it works".

@RMerlin: however it works, maybe it's a good idea to overwrite existing /jffs/cert.tgz anyway to have a repeatable flow?

Generating a certificate from Let's Encrypt (for a custom DDNS)
In WAN - DDNS menu, If you select Free Certificate from Let's Encrypt then after applying - nothing changes. It doesn't matter if you have /jffs/cert.tgz or any files in /jffs/.cert/ - it just doesn't work. If you look at logs, you can see such a line: Dec 24 02:53:29 rc_service: httpd 7936:notify_rc restart_ddns_le;restart_ftpd, but restart_ddns_le seems not to do anything interesting.

But... when you ssh into your router and run service restart_letsencrypt... magic happens and the process of ordering the cert starts - you can track it in System Log -> General Log. The domain used is ofc the one specified in the field Host Name. After all, you can cd /jffs/.le and you will see a new folder named as your domain (e.g. subdomain.domain.com).

However, we are only halfway there - the cert is not working yet. But let's do some experiment - we would get the freshly generated key and cert and pack it into /jffs/cert.tgz:
  1. If we look at /jffs/.le/subdomain.domain.com, there are 2 especially interesting files for us: subdomain.domain.com.key and fullchain.pem.
  2. Let's create a new /jffs/cert.tgz archive file:
    Code:
    cd /jffs/.le/subdomain.domain.com && mkdir etc
    cp subdomain.domain.com.key etc/key.pem && cp fullchain.pem etc/cert.pem
    cd tar -czf /jffs/cert.tgz etc/key.pem etc/cert.pem
  3. Let's reboot: reboot
  4. Voila, it works!
What next? The above doesn't answer if the cert is automatically renewed after 3 months, and even if yes - if it's moved to /tmp/etc/ automatically. But if we you know the mechanism, you can automate it on your own or... @RMerlin - again, maybe it can be automated under-the-hood, when applying Let's Encrypt cert in GUI?

PS I have tested the above for a custom domain, don't know if there are any differences if you want to generate a cert for a default *.asuscomm.com domain.

Last edited:
Hi all, I was recently playing with SSL certificates on my router and discover a few things which imho can be helpful to solve problems with SSL certificates. Probably everything below was already mentioned somewhere on the forum, but when I was looking for solutions to my problems I had to read multiple threads and look for individual helpful comments, so I thought putting all of that into one place can be a good idea. Originally I posted these notes on the Asuswrt-Merlin's GitHub.

Generating a new self-signed cert
In WAN - DDNS menu, If you select HTTPS/SSL Certificate as None and Generate a new certificate as Yes then after applying - nothing changes, you still get the old certificate. The reason is /jffs/cert.tgz archive file, which stores 2 files within etc folder: cert.pem and key.pem. If the file exists, then new cert is not generated.

Solution? Ssh into your router and run rm /jffs/cert.tgz before generating a new cert. Now, when applying the above, a new /jffs/cert.tgz file would be created and cert files in /tmp/etc - successfuly replaced.

@RMerlin: my opinion - removing the old file should be just done under-the-hood.

Importing your own cert
In WAN - DDNS menu, If you select Import Your Own Certificate then after uploading files and applying - it works (even if you get No certificate found status). What is interesting here - the uploaded files are stored in /jffs/.cert/ directory, but /jffs/cert.tgz is not modified - it still stores the old cert files. I expected it can be a problem after reboot, but... it isn't, the cert moved to /tmp/etc/ is still the new one. Tbh that's quite surprising to me, I need to investigate it more, but well - the most important part is "it works".

@RMerlin: however it works, maybe it's a good idea to overwrite existing /jffs/cert.tgz anyway to have a repeatable flow?

Generating a certificate from Let's Encrypt (for a custom DDNS)
In WAN - DDNS menu, If you select Free Certificate from Let's Encrypt then after applying - nothing changes. It doesn't matter if you have /jffs/cert.tgz or any files in /jffs/.cert/ - it just doesn't work. If you look at logs, you can see such a line: Dec 24 02:53:29 rc_service: httpd 7936:notify_rc restart_ddns_le;restart_ftpd, but restart_ddns_le seems not to do anything interesting.

But... when you ssh into your router and run service restart_letsencrypt... magic happens and the process of ordering the cert starts - you can track it in System Log -> General Log. The domain used is ofc the one specified in the field Host Name. After all, you can cd /jffs/.le and you will see a new folder named as your domain (e.g. subdomain.domain.com).

However, we are only halfway there - the cert is not working yet. But let's do some experiment - we would get the freshly generated key and cert and pack it into /jffs/cert.tgz:
  1. If we look at /jffs/.le/subdomain.domain.com, there are 2 especially interesting files for us: subdomain.domain.com.key and fullchain.pem.
  2. Let's create a new /jffs/cert.tgz archive file:
    Code:
    cd /jffs/.le/subdomain.domain.com && mkdir etc
    cp subdomain.domain.com.key etc/key.pem && cp fullchain.pem etc/cert.pem
    cd tar -czf /jffs/cert.tgz etc/key.pem etc/cert.pem
  3. Let's reboot: reboot
  4. Voila, it works!
What next? The above doesn't answer if the cert is automatically renewed after 3 months, and even if yes - if it's moved to /tmp/etc/ automatically. But if we you know the mechanism, you can automate it on your own or... @RMerlin - again, maybe it can be automated under-the-hood, when applying Let's Encrypt cert in GUI?

PS I have tested the above for a custom domain, don't know if there are any differences if you want to generate a cert for a default *.asuscomm.com domain.
Thank you. I used your custom DDNS "tar" repackaging solution with Let'sEncrypt and it worked as suggested (although I had to first wait for 7 days as I had previously used all of the allocated attempts with Let's encrypt...) . I am wondering if the wildcard "*" character for domain *and* subdomains would work with Lets encrypt if the Host name was named as "*.domain.com" as opposed to "domain.com". Not entirely sure if this is the case...