What's new

[SOLVED] 10GbE: SMB Direct and SMB Multichannel on Windows 8.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asmodian

Regular Contributor
Does anyone know a method of enabling SMB Direct and SMB Multichannel on Windows 8.1? I have two dual port NICs which support rdma and rss but I am running Windows 8.1 not Server 2012 R2. I would love to have a 20Gbps connection between my workstation and file server.

I am able to enable rdma and rss seems to be working, I can get up to 1.1GB/s over one cable with very low CPU usage on all cores (a few % on each). Everything I can find says multichannel NetworkDirect requires Server R2 but I am hoping for an undocumented hack. :p

I don't think it is worth running a Server OS for my use case and I am sure there isn't a technical reason for its absence.

How I got here:

After getting my first 10Mbit ethernet card when going to college I have been happily upgrading my home LAN fairly regularly. I remember getting my first (very hot) 1Gbps ethernet card quite a while ago. Sadly 10GbE seems to be quite hard over Cat 6a and 10GbE has been a long time coming to home users (i.e. affordable). I expected it years ago when I was setting up my first 1Gbps network; replacing 100Mbps which had replaced 10Mbps.

I decided I should check on 10GbE prices again and after a scan of ebay I convinced myself 10GbE is finally almost affordable. After a little deliberation I decided to go with SFP+ instead of 10GBASE-T. Two Mellanox Technologies MCX312A-XCBT ConnectX-3 cards and two SFP+ Direct Attach copper cables were under $500. 10GbE switches don't seem to be affordable so I guess I should say "very small LAN". Anyone know of a decent 5 port SFP+ 10GbE switch? :rolleyes:

Mellanox says they only support Windows Server OSes but the drivers for Server 2012 R2 work well in Windows 8.1. With one 10 Gbit connection to my server I can pull ~950 MB/s, the best network file copy I have seen is 1.1GB/s. Now my RAID array and other server drives feel like they are local. It has been a long time since my network has felt this good. However there is a free port and I have another cable. My research turned up SMB 3.02 and now I want 20Gbps. I have to ask, "Why not for Workstation users as well!" :mad:

As a bonus SFP+ is very flexible; I could plug a 10km 10Gbps fiber line into the other port instead. :cool:

Of course I figured it out right after posting.

I simply had the name for what I wanted confused; I will call it too much searching too late. :eek:

With a hint from azazel1024 the name is simply "SMB Multichannel" and Google quickly found:

PowerShell
Code:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $true
Set-SmbClientConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $true
and the respective:
Code:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $false
Set-SmbClientConfiguration -EnableMultiChannel $false

Running the Server enable command enabled it exactly like I was hoping for, an effective 20Gbps ethernet link. :D

The MS Technet page says it should be enabled by default but maybe not for Server on Windows 8.1?
edit: It is key to not have any incompatible paths, for example an Intel-on-motherboard 1Gbps link to a router on both systems.

Of course this is only for SMB so for 10Gbps links it is only useful if you have really fast storage in another computer, a few SSDs in RAID0 for example. It would also be very nice with two 1Gbps links even for accessing a single HDD.

Last edited: