1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Solved] Access to internal servers through VPN.

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by peepsnet, Apr 9, 2020.

1. peepsnet

peepsnet Regular Contributor

I don't know if I am missing something or what?

I have a VPN Client connection established for one client on my network.
    The VPN is on and "Force Internet traffic through tunnel" is set to "Policy Rules (strict)"
    "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" is YES
    The clients IP is in the "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" and set to VPN

It is working perfect to force that client through the VPN. All services on the client are able to reach the internet just fine.

I was now trying to access apache on that client from outside of my network(remotely)
    I have "Virtual Server / Port Forwarding" for the device working
    -Works perfectly from within the network and from outside when the VPN is off

I have 2 dyndns names:
    thing1 and thing2
    thing1.dyndns.org is set from the Routers DDNS page so it is my Router's Public IP
    thing2.dyndns.org is set from the client so it pushes the Public VPN address. I have verified this on dyndns website

I am able to access http://thing1.dnydns.com:5555/directory with the VPN OFF
    I am not able to access http://thing2.dnydns.com:5555/directory with the VPN ON

What am i missing??

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

There was a similar discussion here. In the first instance you need to be using a VPN provider that supports port forwarding on their servers and have configured it to do so.

peepsnet likes this.
  3. Martineau

Martineau Part of the Furniture

peepsnet likes this.
  4. peepsnet

peepsnet Regular Contributor

So to let you all in on a little secret!!!!

It was an E.U. Issue

My Apache2 config(/etc/apache2/apache2.conf) used with DietPi was set to:
    <Directory />
    Require local
    </Directory>

it needed to be:
    Require all granted

When that was changed it did work as expected both from inside the VPN and outside as described above in both posts!!

Thanks all!

L&LD likes this.