What's new

[Solved] Asus RT-AC68U change Chinese to English

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Always Learning

New Around Here
I have found a solution to the extremely annoying problem of Ebay selling slightly cheaper RT-AC68U routers supplied from Manchester (assumed Manchester in England, not the one in China).

On arival the routers are in CHINESE with no means of changing the language to English. It is irritating and time-wasting.

Having one functioning English DSL-AC68U, I logged-in and found the URL of the main configuration page = http://router.asus.com/index.asp

I then connected to the Chinese RT-AC68U and entered http://router.asus.com/index.asp

I got a Chinese page I guessed was telling me to change the non-existent password; so I did. Top box = name and the other two boxes are for the same password. It seemed to object, so I increased the password length to 8 characters and that was accepted.

I then got the Chinese version of the main configuration page. I clicked on something in the top right corner and selected English.

My browser (Firefox on Centos 6) repeatedly asked me to resend the same data. After a few YES clicks, I selected NO and found I have a functioning "normal" English set-up.

My Chinese RT-AC68U firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_20308

I disconnected the router from the mains, waited about 30 seconds and reconnected. Entered in my browser router.asus.com and got the normal English password screen. Logged-in normally.

The Chinese router looks and functions like an English one.

Hope this helps other people.

You just could change region to EU then it is fully turned to your country and all languages are supported, no difference to UK models anymore!

Hi Grisu,
My router is Asus RT-AC88U from GearBest. I did as you said but if you really ment "Factory restore" the router is back to Chinese and I am unsure if the settings made by the telnet command were not deleted as well.
Or have you meant a normal reboot?
Also after I updated the firmware the Language menu now only consists of English and Chinese, while before the first firmware upgrade there were many more to choose from...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Grisu,
My router is Asus RT-AC88U from GearBest. I did as you said but if you really ment "Factory restore" the router is back to Chinese and I am unsure if the settings made by the telnet command were not deleted as well.
Or have you meant a normal reboot?
Also after I updated the firmware the Language menu now only consists of English and Chinese, while before the first firmware upgrade there were many more to choose from...
This answer has been for RT-AC68U only (not even 86U or any other)!
I think 88U is very different in this matter.
Sorry you applied this on your 88U, dont know whats going bad now or in best case nothing happend and you can use it as before.
Never had an 88U to help anymore and sold all Asus equipment now ..
BTW I meant factory reset to read all values from CFE, maybe reboot can do it also.

Last edited:
Well I found this thread by googling and only noticed that it is about RT-AC68U (and not RT-AC88U) after reading it for the fifth time : )
No problem, it seems that the command does nothing in RT-AC88U (I changed to region to US, run the command and the region value was still US)
But I would really interested in the proper form of this command for RT-AC88U.
In some thread from 2015 (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-change-region-on-ac87u.27124/) a guy was saying the region is now hardcoded and cannot be changed...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!