What's new

[SOLVED] BC115j Upgrade Drives or New Unit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Serialportme

New Around Here
I have a Synology BeyondCloud 1-Bay (1x 2TB NAS Drives) Network Attached Storage (NAS) BC115j 1200

It's was my starter nas, not the best but was super easy to setup. Unfortunately- quickly ran out of space. Upgrade the drives or get a new unit?

Thoughts?

I would go for a 2-bay NAS, like Synoligy DS-218 or 218Play, because of the datasecurity with Synology Hybrid Raid or Raid 1 (normal mirroring), if you love to have your data secure, a 2-bay are minimum.
If you are on a budget, the the 218j may be a good choice.
The are other good NAS options, but you know Synology so this might the most easy choice or you, is my guess.
Else you minimum should have a USB backup that is up-to-date all the anyway, so to me the most simpel thing is to buy a 2-bay system.

Thank you!

I think my unit only has one drive? Is it easy to just put it in to a 2 bay unit?

Do both drives have to be the same size. Newbie questions here. Sorry.

OK. For 2 drives (HDD or SSD) you will need to buy a 2-bay NAS like the ones i mentioned before.
And copy from your NAS to the new NAS.
That is the most simpel way to keep your data :)
--------------------------------
For you NAS the maximum disk size is 16 TB.
Look here :

So if you continue with your NAS, you should buy: 1 16 TB internal disk (or the size you want) and 1 16 TB USB drive.
That is minimum.
Backup everything to the USB drive.
Insert the new disk and copy from the USB to the new disk.
---
Then you should take backups to the USB drive daily or minimum weekly to keep your data secure.

Hope this helps

Good advice.

I could get a 6tb usb drive, and a 6tb hdd.

Backup current unit to 6tb usb, then swap current hdd with new 6tb and restore to that.

Does that sound about right?

Or alternative is buy a new 2 bay unit and add drives and just copy data over.

Trying to balance budget with needs -

Thank you! Gave me some good thoughts.

You got it right..
As usual the balance budget decides a lot...

You are welcome :)

Last newbie question for you.

I’m running my current drive as a raid - so if it’s currently 2tb I’m only getting 1tb if storage. Is that correct? I know you don’t know my specifics ...

I always thought my unit had 2 drives - I guess it’s just one?

You have a DS115j and it is only possible to have 1 drive internally.
Therefore I suggested to buy a DS218 or simular drive...
raid is only possible with 2 or more bays.

Please search for info:

Synology HSR
--
Raid 1
--
and try to understand the difference.

----

Ok. I am the worst and apologize for wasting your time. I was going on what amazon said I bought but turns out I have the 2 disk (3tb installed each) currently. I actually have the BC214se

It’s running hsr - thanks for that. I watched a couple of videos of raid 1 vs hsr.

So I guess my revised question is -

If I take out one drive - and replace with 6tb, will it all automatically “hsr” over to the new 6tb drive, then when it’s complete I can replace the old 3tb with a new 6tb?

I know these are basic questions I’m not sure how else to ask them. Lol.

Thanks again and really really appreciate the help.

Ok. I am the worst and apologize for wasting your time. I was going on what amazon said I bought but turns out I have the 2 disk (3tb installed each) currently. I actually have the BC214se

It’s running hsr - thanks for that. I watched a couple of videos of raid 1 vs hsr.

So I guess my revised question is -

If I take out one drive - and replace with 6tb, will it all automatically “hsr” over to the new 6tb drive, then when it’s complete I can replace the old 3tb with a new 6tb?

I know these are basic questions I’m not sure how else to ask them. Lol.

Thanks again and really really appreciate the help.

Synology HSR should do exactly that: Buy 2 6 TB disks, and change 1 at a time. See Synology for how to do. They explain with words and photos so all understand.
Because your drives are same size, take any of them, and swap with the 6 TB disk...
The link you found tells the same thing.
Go to this point and do the steps they write :)

Replace Drive to Expand Storage Capacity

And you should be fine..

Thanks again. Easiest thing ever.

Actually shucked two easystores. First
shuck and first drive change.

Went great. Got two 8tb’s.

Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!