What's new

*SOLVED* Can't get past the router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

A few things,
First, I cant connect to my ISP's email server. They confirmed that it's not them and it's me. I've tested that theory by pinging the server with my desktop and it got timed out. Then, I've pinged it with my router and it replied back.

Also, when I went to ping Google's DNS server...

On a client in my network:
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

On the routers 'network tools' page:
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=56 time=17.743 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=56 time=25.972 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=56 time=16.771 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=56 time=21.454 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=56 time=15.127 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 15.127/19.413/25.972 ms

So, why can't my connected devices get passed my router? Though, I can browse the web and stream Netflix just fine.

I'm just running Merlin with Firmware Version:384.13 with the 'factory defaults'. Nothing else.

A few things,
First, I cant connect to my ISP's email server. They confirmed that it's not them and it's me. I've tested that theory by pinging the server with my desktop and it got timed out. Then, I've pinged it with my router and it replied back.

Also, when I went to ping Google's DNS server...

On a client in my network:
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

On the routers 'network tools' page:
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=56 time=17.743 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=56 time=25.972 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=56 time=16.771 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=56 time=21.454 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=56 time=15.127 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 15.127/19.413/25.972 ms

So, why can't my connected devices get passed my router? Though, I can browse the web and stream Netflix just fine.

I'm just running Merlin with Firmware Version:384.13 with the 'factory defaults'. Nothing else.

Go back to the stock asus firmware and see if you have issues. If you do, it’s not Merlin’s firmware.

This appears to be a contradiction. First you say your devices can't connect, then you say they can browse and stream!

Make sure "custom scripts and configs" are disabled in the router's options. Remove any USB devices.

Go back to the stock asus firmware and see if you have issues. If you do, it’s not Merlin’s firmware.
I know it's not Merlin's firmware because I've been using it for a long time and never had an issue.

This appears to be a contradiction. First you say your devices can't connect, then you say they can browse and stream!

Make sure "custom scripts and configs" are disabled in the router's options. Remove any USB devices.
I don't understand either. I've found the issue though, it was the firewall on the router.
Turned it back on and everything is back to the way it was. Something happened today though what wasn't right. I was changing the Wifi channels and it crashed on me. Is there a way to give the router a clean slate just in case something happened or would issuing a reboot solve that?

Last edited:
I think the firewall script crashed and turning it off and on corrected it. :)

That's correct. Okay, well... what I meant was this...
upload_2019-11-21_10-49-49.png

How about a little more information on how things are connected? What ISP? Do they have their own equipment to terminate at your location? If so, is it a modem or a router combo? Are you double NAT or bridged ....

Need all the basics of the setup before diagnosis.

This behavior happens a lot when the ISP gives you a router/modem that provides LAN and DHCP on 192.168.0.1 and then people leave their router set as the same subnet and try to double NAT. Basic "oops moment".

Yeah, but what if I told you that I turned it on afterwards. ;)

Then doing “nothing else” after claiming to do a factory default was misinformation at best, or a lie at worse.

We can’t read your mind to see what you’ve done. If you leave info out, you diminish the quality of the help you’ll get.

Then doing “nothing else” after claiming to do a factory default was misinformation at best, or a lie at worse.

We can’t read your mind to see what you’ve done. If you leave info out, you diminish the quality of the help you’ll get.
No, I changed a few things after going to the 'factory defaults'. Disabled Upnp and WPS. Enabled AiProtection.

* Case closed. *
Solution: Factory reset and restarting the router by unplugging it for a minute.

Excuse me while I chime/vent in here to post that this isn't really a solution, as it requires manually accessing the router in some way to fix something that's a bug or issue. And it's been around for awhile.

I keep having this issue occur rather randomly, seems wifi may have something to do with it, & the only thing that corrects it until it happens again is either switching firewall off/on &/or rebooting the device. Neither of which is ideal & the latter isn't a guarantee.
-If I'm not at home & can't access router settings, as it's set up for local only access, it can't be dealt with. And I may not be home for days or weeks at time.
-Others at home have no idea how this stuff works, can't be expected to troubleshoot any of this.
-Rebooting requires local access physically or logging in remotely, which can be an issue if can't login remotely.
-Turning firewall off & back on, even if it's only for short period of time, is dangerous as it leaves router but more so everything else that's connected exposed (yes I put on my tinfoil hat when doing this :p ). Given security is a big focus by many here I see this as a big issue. It wouldn't take long for an unprotected device to become infected/accessed from something from the wild or to call home.
-Restarting WAN doesn't do anything either.

My most recent occurrence with this started when I intentionally disconnected the outside connection to the modem so I could add another device to the network. In doing so I was testing things & connecting to router via existing wired connection but also via mobile phone over wi-fi, & accessing router login page started to became a problem via browser. Every few minutes it refused to let me in &/or wouldn't recognise the wired connection, it was coming up with a wifi login page on my PC which is connected via wired connection. And I'd need to clear browser cache/other to help get back in. It seems wifi triggers or interferes with something.

Much like the OP, I could access the router locally & also DDNS via my mobile through VPN from the outside, but in both cases I couldn't get any further. So on my PC I can't access the internet & on my mobile I can't access any device on my home network. But restarting firewall gets things working again.

I've previously posted about this & so have others.
Would love to see a more proper fix or permanent solution that doesn't require manual intervention.

2 attachments show this issue in action. Can't ping from the PC despite being connected.

connected_001_CMD_no_ping.jpg connected_002_router_ping.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!