What's new

[SOLVED] Help needed with site-to-site openVPN with pfsense (server) and Asus-rmerlin (client)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyf

New Around Here
UPDATE (Solved): Turns out I had to add iroutes on the pfsense site using Client Specific Overrides. Not very intuitive, because I had to add the exact same subnet and subnet mask information I already put into the server configuration for the local, tunnel, and client subnets.

Here's the relevant part:

iroutes
In order for the server to reach the client networks behind each connection, both a route to the network (IPv4 Remote Networks entry) to tell the system that OpenVPN knows about that network, and also an iroute that tells OpenVPN to which specific connection a subnet belongs.

To add an iroute, visit VPN > OpenVPN on the Client Specific Overrides tab.

Add an entry for each client, and on each one:

• Set the Common Name field to the name of the certificate for the site
  • On pfSense 2.2, use the IPv4 Remote Network/s here on the Client Specific Override to add iroute networks.
  • On older versions of pfSense, in the custom options/advanced box, add an iroute statement for the client network:
    • iroute a.a.a.a b.b.b.b;
      • a.a.a.a is the subnet's starting IP, b.b.b.b is the subnet mask.

See link here: https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/OpenVPN_Site-to-Site_PKI_(SSL)#iroutes

You guys knew if you let me beat my head on the wall enough I'd figure it out, right? Right?

-----------------------------------------------

Actually, moved the question to the VPN thread, although I hope people who have more experience with the ASUS RT-AC66 would be able to help:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...erver-and-rt-ac66w-asus-rmerlin-client.43958/

Getting stuck and not sure what I need to do. I think it may be a simple thing on my Asus but I can't seem to find anything online.

I set-up a peer-to-peer (site-to-site) openVPN server on my pfsense (v2.4) and copied all the values on it to the VPN client on the Asus running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (v380):

pfsense side (office)

LAN: 10.69.0.0/24

Asus side (home office)

LAN: 192.168.0.0/24

IPv4 Tunnel Network
10.0.9.0/24 (pfsense is 10.0.9.1, Asus is 10.0.9.2)

Currently the VPN is up, I can ping, ssh, http/s, etc. from a machine connected to my Asus router (e.g., home_client=192.168.0.101) to a machine on my remote pfsense (e.g., office_client=10.69.0.11).

However, I can't go back the other way, except the office_client can ping 10.0.9.2, but nothing else beyond that.

What am I missing? I have the "Create NAT on tunnel" turned on, but it says "Router must be configured manually" so maybe I'm missing this step?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!